General Area in Chattanooga>Question Details

joshwilson24, Home Buyer in Alabama

My family may have the opportunity to move to Chattanooga, where should we look for a home.

Asked by joshwilson24, Alabama Tue Oct 23, 2012

We have three children from middle school to senior high ages, we love Chattanooga and my wife's office will be downtown so we need a reasonable commute. Land is not important as long as we do have a yard and cant touch the next house out the window.

Answers

6
That will depend alot on your finances. There are some excellent schools near downtown, but they are expensive....Baylor, McCallie, GPS. Most folks who send their kids to these schools live on Signal Mtn or Lookout Mtn. On the other hand, some folks live just the across the state line in north GA, near the small town of Chickamauga & send their kids to Gordon Lee. Another good school & not expensive, as far as I know. But then you have to consider you will be paying GA income tax. TN does not have an income tax.
I moved to the area in 1995 - my wife is a native of Soddy Daisy so we ended up there. All of our kids graduated from Soddy Daisy High after going through local elementary and middle schools. My wife teaches at North Hamilton County Elementary. While there is probably not a "best" place, I prefer the small-town atmosphere and kinder, gentler lifestyle of Soddy Daisy. And I can be downtown in 20 minutes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
Since you have 3 school-aged children, I would recommend starting with school districts. As a Realtor we are not allowed to point out "Good schools" or "Bad Schools" but there are sites available that you can track several factors that make for a "Good School".
I realized that you posted this on Oct 23. If you have not found a home or Realtor yet, I would love to assist you in finding the perfect home for you :)
I love Chattanooga so much. I only lived there for a couple of years, but I hope to move back one day!

Check out this link. You'll can either search property yourself or even browse based on zip code. They also have demographic information under the Community tab.

http://www.realestatecenterplus.remax-tennessee.com/
Chattanooga is a FABULOUS place to live. I moved here in 1991 and am very happy. Chattanooga is known by many as the Scenic City, it offers so much in the way of recreation with our waterways, mountains and bike and walking trails and many music and art events. Additionally we have many schools, private and public, from which you can choose as well as the University of Tennessee. As far as a neighborhood, there are so many choices from Lookout and Signal Mountains, to Harrison Bay, East Brainerd, Hixson and downtown living. Chattanooga has many "new" citizens who fell in love with it just from driving through.

Check this out for more information on our beautiful City. For more information, visit http://www.chattanooga.gov.

Thank you.

Donace Dillon,
Web Reference: http://www.DonaceDillon.com
There are many neighborhoods and areas throughout Hamilton county that would match your needs. My advice would be to research the schools and determine the best fit for your children and examine that homes zoned for those schools. Also remember that Chattanooga has 40+ private schools to choose from as well.