General Area in Fort Wayne>Question Details

Waf, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

My family may be moving from San Francisco to Fort Wayne and are thinking of buying a home. I have several questions:

Asked by Waf, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 6, 2014

Are there any neighborhoods with characteristics such as artistic, historic, progressive, culturally diverse, etc that are also in a great school district, safe/low crime, has homes with interesting architectural features vs something that is more cookie cutter (forgive the phrase)? If not, what's the "coolest" neighborhood?

We are also interested in buying a home and doing renovations but I'm concerned we would not get the return on investment as the housing market doesn't seem that strong. Any thoughts on renovations and ROI when selling?

We will probably only be in Fort Wayne for 3 years. If this is the case, would you recommend we rent, buy, or buy and renovate?

Year over year, is there one neighborhood that stands out as always appreciating? Any idea of percentage points? Trulia only offers info on week unless I'm missing a feature.

Thanks!

Answers

7
Hello -- I'm just a person who lives here, but I would like to help you out with real (not realtor) info. could you drop me a note at rsalter@jg.net or rosawrites@yahoo.com. so sorry you have gotten perhaps not the best impression.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 19, 2014
Hello! If you are still looking for information on real estate in Fort Wayne, I would be glad to help. In my opinion there are several different areas which I would consider historical, and it is really dependent on your price range which is best suited for you.

As far as buying vs renting-- In my opinion I would again consider the price range. How much you will be paying in rent for 3 years, vs what type of home and what area you would buy in to consider the return.

It is important if you decide to renovate a home here or any other city you talk with a realtor about the market value of the home before you spend a large amount on renovations.

Any more questions, feel free to contact me!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Hi Waf,

I will be in a similar situation soon as well. I am also currently looking for a place to live (rent not buy). I would love to swap information with you and we can help each other out. I may be down there very soon and I can give you my impression/experiences as a new resident as well. Hope to hear from you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 2, 2014
Hi LenaK45, My husbands initial job offer fell through and they have just contacted him for another position so my research is back on. Did you end up moving to Fort Wayne? Interested in sharing your thoughts? My email is crysinsf@yaho.com. All the best! Crystal
Flag Mon Aug 25, 2014
opt for the cookie cutter. if you only stay for 3 years, it's easier to flip a cookie cutter as you call them. as a matter o fact, i have one, here. Everyone looks to SW, especially the West Hamilton and Liberty Mills area for their dream home. don't look at dream homes if you are only in our area for a short time. you will lose your a**. mine is realtively cheap, well located, and in fine shape.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 2, 2014
Hi there Waf,

While I’m not a Realtor, I wanted to let you know that I’m here to help. I have experience with great agents in town, and I would be happy to introduce you to someone who will be both easy to get along with while still being a strong negotiator with your best interest in mind. Working with a qualified agent can make a world of difference when you are buying your next house. In our local market, I would strongly recommend buying over renting.

When it comes to buying a home, being pre-qualified by a lender is really the first step. That’s a pretty simple process that can be done over the phone in about 10 minutes (you could also come in to my office, whichever you would prefer). During that time, we can discuss the wide variety of loan products that I have access to at my company, how much you qualify to borrow, and different payment scenarios. All of my contact information is in my signature below. Feel free to call my cell at any time.

Have a great day and good luck in your home search! Let me know how I can help.

Blake Music
Senior Loan Officer
Ruoff Home Mortgage
260-227-0780
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 28, 2014
Hi Waf,
Fort Wayne has several different neighborhoods where you can find historical homes, cool renovations and several outlying areas that are nice communities. I can send you information on crime as well as school districts. We actually have a great housing market right now and moving from San Francisco to Fort Wayne you are going to be amazed at the home that you can get for the money. January numbers are strong with there actually being a low inventory situation currently. If you would like more extensive market information I can provide that via email. As far as doing renovations there is money to be made, however it needs to be the right property. As far as buying, or renting it would come down to crunching the numbers and seeing what would work best for you. Please feel free to email me at ashepherd@mikethomasrealtor.com and I will help you with your search. I have a few houses in mind to send you, however it is going to be based on what you are looking for.

Andie Shepherd
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
This sounds like something that you may find fits your interest with art and history. Check out this site: http://infortwayne.com/neighborhood-hosts-home-garden-tour-a…

I work with Keller Williams Realty in Northern Virginia, but if you need help finding an agent in Fort Wayne, In please let me know. I can get you a referral agent in Fort Wayne. Thanks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 9, 2014