General Area in Yorktown>Question Details

Grace, Both Buyer and Seller in Lancaster County, PA

Moving to hampton roads soon. I work in Hampton University. Is yorktown too far to commute? I heard 17 is a parking lot during the rush hour. Thanks

Asked by Grace, Lancaster County, PA Sun Apr 17, 2011

Answers

8
Lots of routes to York County from Hampton University. Do you know the hours you will be working? Mornings the traffic seems to move a lot quicker but the evenings for some reason are slower. Hampton Highway or Rt. 134 might be a possibility. It all depends on the area of York County you choose to live. It is a long thin shaped area. Welcome and you will love it here.
Hi Grace,

Saw your question on Trulia. Did you ever get a response and did you move to Hampton yet? Yorktown is a parking lot, but there are places in York County that is very close to Hampton and I think you would love.

June Sullivan
William E Wood and Asso
junesullivan@williamewood.com
Grace,

It's not easy during Rush Hour. I would recommend you take a look at one of our planned communities in Isle of Wight County and Northern Suffolk. (Founders Pointe and Graystone at Eagle Harbor in the Carrollton area of Isle of Wight). The Riverfront is less than 10 minutes away in Northern Suffolk.

All three have resort style amenities, a clubhouse, pool, playgrounds, and walking trails. The commute is easy and in areas with low taxes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, and good luck!
Mark Edwards
I grew up in Yorktown and rt. 17 can be a pain in the butt! However, traffic flows steady almost all day except rush hour so if you have a 9am-5pm schedule it could be frustrating... When I taught college classes at Fresno State I had a pretty irregular schedule; if that is the case for you the traffic wont be an issue. Also keep in mind that "traffic" is a relative term depending on where you are moving from. Rt 17 is rarely a "parking lot" unless there is a wreck. Usually at rush hour it is just super slow but cars are always moving forward. Hope that helps... if your going to visit to shop for homes or to jsut get the lay of the land, let me know and I'll be happy to show you around.
Kelly
I live in Yorktown near York High School. I take Fort Eustis Blvd to 64. It takes me 25 minutes to get to Hampton University. Depending on the time of day, the worst traffic is on 64 close to HU near the tunnel. Rt 17 does get slow in the afternoon but it's no worse than Jefferson or any other major road at 4:00pm. Hope this helps!
Congratulations on your new position at Hampton University. You have heard correct, 17 can be heavy with rush hour traffic. Yorktown offers amazing history and great neighborhoods. It is worth your time to tour the area homes.
Grace, I live in Yorktown. Yorktown is actually 'divided' into three sections. There is the lower, very popular, Tabb area of Yorktown that is located just minutes from Hampton U. No HWY 17 involved as you would simply jump on and off 64 and only have to go a few exits till you get to exit 134 that runs into Tabb. You would take one more exit to get to the middle section of Yorktown called Grafton. You may spend a little time on 17 but there are many neighborhoods less than 1 mile up that road. The heavy traffic you would have to deal with comes if you are looking at living in the upper Grafton to the actual 'York or Yorktown' area. the official Yorktown is located in upper York near the Gloucester Bridge and you would deal with traffic if living all the way up there. If you are thinking Tabb or lower Grafton when you think 'Yorktown/York County' then your commute would be pretty short. If you need help with the area, let me know.

Lori
Hi. Depending on when you go/leave work is key to traffic in the area. You will not have to worry about tunnels, but I would suggest that you drive in the area during those key commuting times so that you will have a feel of traffic. There are several other areas near Hampton University that you could consider that may be a better commute. I hope this helps.

Sherida Bonton
757-905-SOLD (7653)