General Area in Ventura>Question Details

Cody, Renter in Ventura, CA

Moving to Ventura. Buy, Rent, Lease to Own? Agents Available to show Rentals?

Asked by Cody, Ventura, CA Mon Jun 6, 2011

Hey folks, wife and I are moving to Ventura in July from Denver, CO. She'll be working in Camarillo so it's still not out of the question but Ventura seems more desirable to us. We're early 30s, no kids, active and outdoorsy but like riding bikes or walking to food/drink. We were originally set on renting, but comparing rents with home values (down 11% over year) it may be cheaper to buy. We just sold our home in downtown Denver (in 6 days, great market) so we would entertain buying again if it was a 'smokin' deal'. We may not be there for more than a year or two so any purchase would be an investment property (risky but fun). Anyhow, would it behoove us to contact an agent for rentals? Any agents out there show both rentals and for sale properties? What's your outlook on the downtown/midtown/pierpont market in a buy/rent analysis? Anyone have experience with these 'lease to own' foreclosures sales? We're coming to look next week, thanks for your help! (Sorry for rambling)

Answers

6
Just wanted to chime in again to say thanks to everyone for the responses.

My wife and I would also like to especially thank Ariel and Karen Palmieri for showing us around the area. Great communication, great knowledge, very professional and a great read on what Jess and I are looking for. Those were truly some fabulous listings and we look forward to working with you guys again soon!

Cody
Cody & Jessica,

In relation to your post earlier today:

PLEASE Google the First Step Equity company, as I did: http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=116386 It appears that the 'first step' is they separate you from your money. Hmmm.... There have been several scams based around homes in foreclosure, and individuals attempting to profit from the distressed property market we are currently experiencing in the Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties.
Thanks everybody, we'll be contacting someone in the next day or two to set up viewings. We also have a few numbers of rentals to view that we've found on craigslist. We when we do contact someone it will be weighted heavily towards rentals in Ventura. While finding a good 'buy' opportunity is appealing, it would have to be a pretty special deal.

The 'lease to own' properties I was referring to were on Craigslist provided by an agency called First Step Equity. Any familiarity with their operation?

Regarding rental agents, are they generally compensated by the owner attempting to get the property rented? Any fees associated with us contacting an agent to show us rentals?

Thanks again.
Hi Cody,

We have sold homes to early 30s-no kids buyers who sound similar to you and your wife in both Camarillo and Ventura. They offer different things. Ventura has a thriving downtown with great art galleries, restaurants, shopping and night life. The beach is an obvious plus and there is also great hiking in our hillside parks. Santa Barbara is 30 min. to the North with additional options for dining, shopping, culture and outdoor fun. Ojai is about 20-25 min. away with more hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding opportunities. On the other hand, Camarillo has a charming downtown area, a slightly warmer climate that was rated among the best climate's in the nation by National Geographic about 20 years ago, and is closer to Malibu and Topanga Canyon, which offer great hiking and horseback riding. Some people like that Camarillo is closer to Los Angeles because they want the opportunity to head into LA for comedy, music, and more 'urban' nightlife.
Our team works in both Camarillo and Ventura (as well as the beaches of Oxnard - Hollywood Beach, Silver Strand and Oxnard Shores) and we'd be delighted to show you purchase opportunities in both areas to help you compare and contrast. We can also put you in contact with some fabulous rental agents. Last year, more than 75% of our buyer clients relocated to the area from out of state. We love helping people who are new in town! Good luck and please visit our website to read client testimonials at http://www.ArielandKaren.com. Feel free to call us at 805.746.2070 if you'd like to chat. Finally, if you want to buy a townhome that you could rent or live in, we have a short sale listing at 138 Bryn Mawr #15 that is great value and would make a terrific investment. You can view it by going to our Trulia listings page.
Hello Cody,
It's an average 30 minute commute to/from Camarillo to the west end of Ventura during a typical weekday. That's an hour a day spent looking at shiny bumpers, spectacular farmland and glimpses of ocean views. Camarillo's Old Town may be suitable as a home base. I would highly recommend you do not even look at a property to buy if your intention is to move in a year or two -- as that would not make financial sense. We do not have 'lease to own' come up very often, as that would require owner-financing. Here's a constantly updated direct link to Camarillo rentals. We'll be happy to assist you locally in Camarillo, should you decide that's where you'll be staying for the 12-24 months or so.
Hi Cody,

I would love to help you guys! I do not do property management but have someone I refer to and everyone I send to her likes her a lot so I would give you her name to help you find a rental. As for buying, YES, that is my specialty. 22 years experience and have been through two price downturns. Now is a fantastic time to buy for yourselves, and yes, it will make a great rental when you leave as rent prices are high in this beach community. Downtown, Midtown, Pierpont - those are 3 prime areas - you got that right. As an example of some recent prices: $307,000 put some clients of mine in an 1100 sq ft ocean view rental overlooking downtown. Visited them there last night, and walked to a fabulous restaurant right downtown. Midtown - there's a 3 bedroom house for sale that's a short sale, good condition, for $360,000. Now, compared to CO, prices are high, but they are half what they were here in 2006, so there's your "deal" (and everyone wants one) I don't know what you mean by "lease to own foreclosure sales". they don't exist - you buy them and all the bank-owned properties are in the MLS and we have total access to them. The only way to get a better price is to show up at the sale at the courthouse, with cash in hand, and compete with all the investors, and there are lots of them. 60-70% of all sales here are now short sales or foreclosures - I have extra certifications as a short sale specialist to get you through that maze easier. How about giving me a call tomorrow, at 805-415-2255, since it's pretty late here and there now - let's talk. more info on my website: http://www.maggiehoodhomes.com My best, Maggie Hood
Web Reference: http://maggiehoodhomes.com