General Area in Memphis>Question Details

csp_31, Renter in Memphis, TN

Moving to Memphis to work at UTHSC. I have a 5 year old and need to stay somewhere safe and with good schools but I dont want to commute too far.

Asked by csp_31, Memphis, TN Tue Jan 29, 2013

Answers

5
One of the good things about Memphis is you basically can get anywhere In Memphis in 20/25 minutes. I would look into the Poplar / East Memphis area to rent. It's a very established neighborhood where home ownership is high, the community takes pride in their homes and the neighbors are friendly. The East Memphis area is maybe 15 minutes from the Medical district where UTHSC is located.

The Whitestation school district is one of the best in the state. My daughter went to Whitestation Middle and High School, afterwards she attended Emory in Atlanta and was well prepared. You can look on my real estate facebook page for rentals posted from time to time at http://www.facebook.com/JCornesRealEstate or feel free to contact me 901/268.8333 - JCornesRealEstate@gmail.com if you need further assistance. Realtor - Keller Williams Realty

Congratulations and welcome to Memphis!
A great website to check out is http://www.greatschools.net. It will give you valuable information about school systems and rankings. Best of luck and if there's anything our team can do to help you let us know!
At present time all Memphis area schools are merging with Shelby County Schools. The surburban cities (6) are working on establishing independent school systems outside the Shelby County Memphis merger. Waiting on courts decision of constitutionality of such a system. I firmly believe some day the suburban cities will have independent shcools systems.

How far is too far? We have communities with good public schools like Lakeland, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville. Collierville to downtown there really is no easy way and you can expect at least 35 minutes - depending on time of day you travel. Arlington once you reach I40 would be about 30 minutes depending on time of day for your travel. The other 2 would have just about the same commute to downtown of about 30 minutes depending on the time of day you travel.

Personally if I were moving to this area I would live in Lakeland for better schools and least crime. Next would be in Bartlett within the Bon-Lin school district for better schools and lower crime.

Price ranges of any amount are available all the way up to homes costing millions of dollars. Check http://buyselltnhomes.com. You can setup your own home search parameters and get email alerts.

There is lots of good in the Memphis area - I have lived here for over 20-years.

Bob Brown
MidSouth Residential, LLC
901-233-3313
realtor.bob@att.net
How far of a commute (in minutes) are you comfortable with? Are you wanting public school or private schools? What is a stress free price range for you? How large of a house will fit your needs? Is there a non-negotiable must have in your next residence?

Don't mean to hammer you with 50 questions, but putting the puzzle together will insure you getting the house and area that is right for you. I have helped hundreds (maybe more) with their relocations and I am very confident we can find a home that is perfect for your family.

Let me know if I can be of service to you.

Jo Shaner
Lipsey/Shaner Team, LLC
901-848-5962
joshaner@kw.com
You'd love Harbor Town!! It's its own little community with schools. Call me and I can help you find something great there or there a couple of other areas I could recommend for you. Cathy Hunter Banks Prudential Collins-Maury, Inc 901-606-2374
Thank you so much for the reply. I've been reading not so great things about Memphis and I am concerned because I am moving alone with my daughter. I am looking to rent for now.
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013