Alex, Both Buyer and Seller in New Jersey

Moving north of Los Angeles which of these areas is best?

Asked by Alex, New Jersey Wed Nov 7, 2007

We are looking at Thousand Oaks, Valencia, Westlake Village and Agoura Hills. My husband will work in Northridge. We have two children, one is in 7th grade, so good schools are a must. She currently attends the number 1 school in our state. I'd also like info on demographics, crime, etc

Answers

8
We are meeting a lot of families that want to move to the Oak Park, Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills areas for the good schools and the safe communities. It takes a little longer to drive into work, but residents say it is worth it. And the premium home prices are based on the savings you have from not sending the kids to private schools.

Just think of the hundreds of hours of family time saved by not having to drive your kids to a school 30 minutes away, 2 times a day, even with a car pool. Other big attractions are that your children can walk to the local school with their classmates, have play dates or study together, and you and they can attend school events locally, like PTA meetings, fund raisers, carnivals, etc. Think of the value that brings to your home location.

Contact me if you have further questions. james@eas2.com I have an open house this Sunday, priced to sell quickly, below $650,000. Come out a take a look!.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 20, 2014

I absolutely loved where I raised my children, Oak Park California. Oak Park is located in unincorporated Ventura County and borders with Agoura Hills and Westlake Village. It has its own school district: http://www.opusd.k12.ca.us/schlsites/SARC.htm (links directly to the school accountability report card section) and has consistently ranked among the highest schools in Ventura County. There are over 78 acres of public parks and hiking trails in Oak Park and its about a 20 minute scenic drive through the canyons (down Kanan Road) to Malibu and the beach. I can make it to LAX (airport) within about 45 minutes (but I admit to having a bit of a lead foot). Demographics are a part of the school accountability report cards. If you still need a site or info on crime stats, just let me know and I'll get you a link.

Diantha
I highly recommend the Conejo Valley area (Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Newbury Park, Oak Park and Agoura Hills). The Conejo Valley is situated about 40 miles north of downtown Los Angeles. An easy commute to City life, yet a feeling of open air and community that can only be experienced here. Thousand Oaks has consistently been rated one of the safest cities in the nation and the excellent schools and abundant recreational activities are a major draw for families. For more local information including community information and home search, visit my website.
Hi Alex,

My brother and his wife moved to stevenson ranch (near valencia) from NYC and they love it. They have 2 kids, have made tons of friends, and are very happy with the community, its safety, schools, etc. and this prices are more reasonable.
Hi Alex, Have you considered Simi Valley or Moorpark? I grew up in Thousand Oaks and have lived in Simi Valley for the last 15 years. I moved here because I could purchase more for my money, even back then when my first home was 138,000. I now raise two children here. All of the Simi, Moorpark and Conejo (Conejo includes Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park and Westlake Village) have excellent schools, they all have some schools that are high ESL impacted schools too. Parents have different ideas about what makes a good school too. I would encourage you to look at the school web sites for comparisons. The reason I mention Simi and Moorpark is because they will be much less commute time for your husband than Agoura, Westlake. Simi/Moorpark and Northridge are all on the 118 corridor. There is commute traffic in the morning but if you come from TO, you have more transitions that bottle up (of course they are 1 year ahead of schedule on the 23 freeway expansion, yeh!) If you would like more information on Simi/Moorpark or Conejo areas, please feel free to contact me for further relocation assistance. Whatever you decide, I think you will love Ventura County. I wouldnt dream of calling anyplace else home.
Hi Alex

Each of the areas you mention have excellent qualities but they are distinctly different from one another. I would encourage you to look online at the different schools available and also to pay close attention to the commute from Northridge to these communities. Crossing the SF Valley from Westlake Village to Northridge could be quite the commute.

Also, I don't believe one REALTOR is going to know all those areas. Think about choosing a REALTOR who would be willing to work as a team with others who could help you make the best choice of where to live.

Hi Alex,

All of the areas you are asking about have their merits and I have friends who live in and love each one.

I am not the local expert for the Valley but I do know someone who is. Give Jodie Miller a call at (323) 574-2834, she is a great Realtor with Keller WIlliams Realty who lives and works in that area and would be able to get you all the information you desire and also help your family find a terrific home. Be sure to tell her that Tisza gave you the number.

Have a wonderful day!

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, Keller Williams Claremont/La Verne (909) 837-8922
Web Reference: http://Route66Living.com