General Area in Columbia>Question Details

John Axlen, Home Buyer in 19116

Moving from another state to MD

Asked by John Axlen, 19116 Tue Feb 5, 2013

Columbia MD. good place to live>?

Answers

9
Vance Blakely’s answer
Hi John,
According to the Washington Post, Columbia, MD ranks # 8 on the list of Best Places to Live. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/maryla…

Come and see for yourself if it makes that good of an impression on you. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to get you in touch with the community and everything Columbia has to offer.
good afternoon John, Columbia MD is unique in that if offers homes and activities to meet everyone's needs. You can find condos, townhomes and or single properties, all with close by shopping and community centers, great schools and major highways.

Even if you do not have children, owning a property in Columbia is a good investment because of Howard County's great school reputation. Additionally, each neighborhood is surrounded by walking/sogging paths, fitness centers and entertainment venues such as Merriweather and Toby's Dinner Theatre.

These are just a few pluses and I would be happy to discuss these advantages in more detail as well as your particular housing needs, regards, John
Hi, Jhon "good" is defined by each person as each person is looking for different things in a neighborhood.

Being a plan community Columbia is very structured and has rules which make things uniform. There are older parts of Columbia that are not part of the plan area and like everything has advantages and disadvantages.

The best way to decide if Columbia is good for you is talking about your goals, likes and dislikes.
I can talk to you in depth about them and we can figure out if Columbia is the neighborhood for you.

Welcome to Maryland.
Look forward to meeting you!
Thank you for your question about Columbia. Columbia is a planned Community of approximately 96,000 residents. Our family moved to Columbia during the very first summer and there were 100 residents. All of us continue to live here, althought not in the same areas.
One will find many lifestyles..from singles to retired persons. Columbia provides all types of hhousing choices, recreational facilities. We enjoy a topnotch Howard County school system, library system, shopping areas and proximity to major commerce centers, i.e., Washington DC and Baltimore, Md. There is a great deal more to share with you; let me know what else you would like to know. How else can I assist you?
Dear John,
As Realtors we are not allowed to make the call as to which neighborhoods are good or bad. However, one of the reasons Howard County and Columbia are sought after, is the Public School System. If you have school age children, you may visit the Public School website: http://www.hcpss.org/schools/ to look at individual schools and their ranking. Once a school becomes a top criteria for searching for a home, a customized search can definitely be set up so that homes zoned to that school are on your list. I not only live in Howard county and have a child in the public school system, but I am also a professional Realtor who has helped families find their homes in Howard county. I would be more than happy to help. Please call 443-226-5046 to reach me anytime.
Hi John

Columbia MD is in Howard County as you likely know. The county is consistently ranked in national publications as a great place to live. For example, CNN/Money Mag ranked us #2 in 2010. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshot… .

Im a 20 year full time real estate agent, living and working in Howard County. Contact me if you would like to discuss your relocation. I would be more than happy to give you buyer references.

Regards
Brian
Hi John,

Columbia has been a very popular destination for our relocating clients along with Ellicott City, Crofton, Odenton and Severn. It is really going to depend on your personal prefernces for commuting and such.

We offer a wide variety of relocation information on our website. Using Fort Meade as our central focus we let you know what cities and counties are close to the base and allow you to search homes using that criteria. That might give you a starting point. Please don't hesitate to call or e-mail if we may be of assistance with purchasing or renting a home.
The answer depends upon where you are coming from, and what you are looking for. These "best of" surveys are somewhat suspect, but this one is good. The fact that they combine Columbia and Ellicott City makes the info less accurate, because they are near each other, and not the same place. I was a police officer in the Columbia area for 20 years if you would like to call me and talk specifics....
Columbia MD is good location, many businesses around, restaurants, and plenty of cultural opportunities, good schools as part of Howard County is considered to be a fairly good place great location near Baltimore and Washington D.C.