General Area in Fort Wayne>Question Details

LenaK45, Renter in Fort Wayne, IN

Moving from Toronto, Canada to Ft. Wayne by the end of the month, need some advice.

Asked by LenaK45, Fort Wayne, IN Tue Mar 4, 2014

I will be relocating from Toronto, Canada to Fort Wayne by the end of the month. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. I have been told that it is hard to find a rental home in the 46814 zip code, which would be our preferred neighborhood, how true is that?

I have also looked around and found an apartment complex in the 46845 area (Steeplechase apartments). It is by the Parkview North Hospital, and I am wondering how that neighborhood is, how are the schools and is there nearby shopping? I am considering this location as an alternative to the zip code mentioned above.

Overall, I am looking for a safe neighborhood that is family friendly that is close to shops and parks for the children to play in. What areas would you recommend that we should steer clear of (by zip code or street names would be best as I am not 100% familiar with the city yet).

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

5
Mary True’s answer
I would suggest going to craigslist to look for a home rental in Fort Wayne. You will have to go through the ads to see the location. Try hotpads.com, or realtor.com. You can't go wrong with any area in the 46814 zip code. I live here and feel it is safe, has a great park, shopping, schools, and medical facilities. There are neighborhoods that are within walking distance to the YMCA and a nice park; try Westlakes, Coves of Westlakes, Aboite Meadows, Aspen Village, Kekionga Shores, Haverhill; some neighborhoods have their own nice parks. Hunt Club Apartments is in the 46804 zip code, but they go to the SW Allen County school district (same as 46814). They are average-type apartments, not bad. There's a pool. Pointe Inverness Apartments are nice, and in the SWAC school district.

As for 46845; I have lived there too, and the Northwest Allen County school system is good. I feel that parts of that area are not as "safe" as 46814, but in general it's fine. You can find crime statistics online for both zip codes. Before you rent a place, make sure that is the school system, and NOT Fort Wayne Community Schools.
HI, I have a rental home which I am closing on in April. It is located in 46818 zip code, which is pretty similar to the locality you ask for. It is a 3 bedroom house, School district is very nice if you have children. If you are interested, email me and I can send you pictures etc
Flag Fri Mar 28, 2014
Have you considered trying to get preapproved to buy a home in the Fort Wayne area? I own a mortgage company in Fort Wayne called Legacy Lending Group and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have regarding preapproval qualifications and would be happy to take a free look at it for you.
Email me doug@legacylend.com or call me at 260-602-9768

Thanks!
Doug
So crazy my fiance is moving here from toronto canada too! I have lived in Fort wayne my whole life and that is definitely a good area. Best of luck with the move!
Hi there!

I actually lived in Toronto for a bit before returning to Fort Wayne! I grew up in an area with the 46845 zip code and the Northwest Allen schools are wonderful. I currently reside in Dupont Lakes Apartments, and they are a great bang for your buck! Not as nice as Steeplechase, but not bad at all. Otherwise I would reccomend the 46835 area code. Maysville and Stellhorn roads are nice and family-friendly. There is plenty of close shopping and parks within Arlington Park neighbourhood (also one to consider!)

I hope everything works out for you! I loved growing up in Fort Wayne, in both Arlington Park and the Northwest area!
Find a good agent that will send you the information you need, and be prepared to give you a tour of the local area. School systems are a big concern, re sale vales are another area of concern, some areas sell quicker than others. The local chamber of commerce has some great relocation packets available also.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 24, 2014