General Area in Philadelphia>Question Details

Chad, Home Buyer in Camarillo, CA

Moving and working close to Philly airport. Prefer a <30 min commute but great schools and family-oriented neighborhoods most important.

Asked by Chad, Camarillo, CA Thu Feb 2, 2012

Suggestions?

Answers

15
Chad also check out- http://www.greatschools.org/high-school/ and http://www.philly.com/philly/education/report_card/

Everyone has their own wish list as it were when relocating. The majority of the schools offer 88%+ children continuing education, whether college or trade schools. Quite a few of our High Schools are ranked in the Top 500 in the United States.

They will give you a good idea of the schools systems in our area. Living in the city is congested but fun if you like city life. The Surrounding Suburbs offer many choices in your price range and many will be less than 20-30 minutes to the Philadelphia airport.

Our Pennsylvania local is approx. 2.5-3 hour ride to New York City, Pocono Mountains, New Jersey and Delaware shores. Tax free shopping in the State of Delaware which can be less than 30 minutes. Maryland and Washington DC 3-3.5 hours.

Feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Welcome to Pennsylvania, and best of luck relocating here,

Rob Hughes: Long & Foster Real Estate Inc.
(Associate Broker) (AB065650)
(Hughes Associates) (Realtor since 1987)

Office: 610-225-7400 x7438

Cell# 484-410-9765 (Preferred)

http://WWW.DELVALREALESTATEOFPA.COM

http://WWW.ERICMAYMORTGAGE.COM
Hi again Chad,

Also check out http://www.qvna.org. That is the Queen Village Neighbor's Association website. And you might notice that I am the Exec. VP of the QVNA board so I have access to lots of great information.

Amy
Wow, thank you all for gving me such great input. I was up until midnight last night looking at some options in areas you recommended that I think will get my teenagers a little more excited. The school information that Carl sent will be very helpful as we make some important decisions.
Thanks again. I'm glad I stumbled on to this website!
My last client with teenage children that was relocating from a suburb in Northern NJ had a similar profile and criteria and focused on Fairmount, Queen Village, and Fitler Square. I would do some heavy research on schools. Masterman, Science Leadership Academy,and Central are top public choices but have nothing to do with district you live in but an acceptance process. Here is the school district web site:

https://webapps.philasd.org/school_profile

A couple other terrific online resources are :

nakedphilly.com (real estate blog that gives you a good sense
of the transitions and improvements that are taking place as well as the foot prints of each neighborhood)

Philadelphiaspeaks.com (local forum)

You'll see a lower tax base overall in the city compared to the sourrounding suburbs.But the above neighborhoods mentioned will have the highest.

Best Regards.

Carl M. Caldas
CITYSPACE
2200 Walnut St.
Phila, PA 19103
215.279.1897
ccaldas@phillycityspace.com
Hi Chad. I live about 10 minutes from the Airport. My wife is a flight attendant, so this location is very important to us. - And we're not under a flight path!

I know the area well, and can represent you in getting everything you want. I have 40 years experience in this business. Let me go to work for you.
Web Reference: http://SteveFinney.com
Hi Chad,

Consider the city. Queen Village in Philadelphia is about ten to twenty minutes from the airport, depending on traffic. It is the most family-oriented, friendly area you will find anywhere. Okay, you say, what about schools? There are excellent public, private and charter schools from which to choose. Shoot me an email with price range, house size, etc and I will send you some wonderful options.

If you do prefer suburbs, I am from here and grew up in the 'burbs, both northern suburbs which are too far for you and on the Main Line. I am a UPenn graduate and have lived here all my life.

Hope to hear from you,

Amy
amy.shelanski@gmail.com
US Spaces, Inc.
Chad,

teenage children... attached to where you live... i get it. The truth....

There are more great places here than there is tiime to talk. I assume you are fine folks, and in the end you bring your greatness with you wherever you go, because you carry it within.

Without exception, the places stated previously are all excellent communities with Terrific family orientations, good to superb schools, etc. Its just adjusting. Sports, culture, outdoors - almost anything of interest to your children is available.

The internet empowers - on a macro level. If you want direction where to look. drop a line. i have to go.
Thanks for your answers all. The reason for posting here for a short answer on potential neighborhoods for my family is that I am trying to convince my two teenagers that there are great areas we can move to. So I wanted to go online and show them some houses and schools where they would possibly live and learn and get them excited about these things. I know that as we get closer to the move, we'll have a far more detailed conversation with a real estate professional. Thanks again.
Chad,

You can almoste certainly get what you want, where you want then. If you are used to, and have a preference for new/newer construction with the open layouts, huge closets, 9' ceilings et al, that are not commonly found in 25 or 65 year old homes...SOME limitations may apply.

Contact me or some other agent like me who is experienced in the broader area. Make a list of the factors important to you. Stick to that list, and challenge us why our recommendations meet your list. Always there are tradeoffs, be willing to accept those too - when supported by the data we supply.

This is a set of conversations you need to have with someone off line. It is REALLY important that you accept that middle paragraph - whether you work with me or whomever. Scattershot home search in an unfamilar par of the country is unsatisfying for me, but AWFUL fory you. Invest a few hours in the conversation to plan ahead, and a promise your homesearch will be on track, less time consuming, and produce the reward of a home that is best suited to your family's most important needs wants and desires.

Feel free to reach out - or not -as you chose.

John Leonard
Long & Foster
610--742-9389
john.leonard@lnf.com
Also, I'm willing to pay a little more in property taxes if the schools help me avoid having to pay for private school costs. As for lot size, I don't have a good feel but I want some backyard space. I'm in S. Cal now where backyards aren't too big so my expectations aren't great but it would be upside for me.
I will be traveling a lot, so John brings up a good point about close access to the airport, which is very close to the office.
My price range is under $900k, 4 bdrm, 3 ba, 3000+ sq ft.
Chad

Your price range is the critical answer followed closely by the size/style/age of home that appeals to you, and also the size of the lot. Property tax tolerance too, NJ higher, DE lower than PA. A recommendation of a speciific town at this point is just empty writing.

Consider what matters to youu...then have a discussion with an experienced agent. Talk to co-workers where you will be joining but take their recommendations with a grain of salt. Most folks will recommend their towns, but that is because it fits their reasoons to be there, NOT yours.

I understand your need, as before real estate my prior two industrial jobs had me flying constantly. I would not live where i live now, if I were flying on a regular basis for work, and leaving very early and arriving quite late.
Contact me if you wish,

John Leonard
610-742-9389
john.leonard@lnf.com
Web Reference: http://nicepahomes.cpom
Hi Chad,

Lower Merion is a great option, however, you must also check out the Media / Rose tree area and the Wallingford Swarthmore area. Having lived in both areas you would be much closer to the airport area from these two options than Lower Merion. Wallingford / Swarthmore / Media are very close to the 95 corridor - it will only take five minutes to get on the highway. Also, each of the communities are very family centric! There are excellent housing options in these areas. I currently have a four bedroom available in Wallingford now. Email me with any questions you have and I will help you, my children did attend both Strath Haven and Lower Merion.

Ana Barlow Coldwell Banker Preferred
anabarlow@gmail.com
215.701.9117
Coldwell Banker Preferred
Chad,

There are quite a few places that would meet your criteria. Too many to list here, it would require more details about the type of home you would like and your price range. I cover the Philadelphia and South Jersey area and can help you explore your options on both sides of the bridge. Many people who work in Philadelphia actually live in South Jersey.

Please call or email to discuss & if you are going to be in the Philadelphia area soon, we should plan to meet.

Thanks and good luck,

Barbara Smith
Weichert Realtors NJ & PA
cell/text: 609-980-7593
email: BarbSmith321@gmail.com
Hi Chad,

I have had 2 clients make the same commute. Areas that match your needs are Haverford Township, Media Boro, and Lower Merion Township. (all have direct acces to 476 or 76)

What is your price point?

Amanda