General Area in Sacramento>Question Details

Bud Zeller, Real Estate Pro in Placerville, CA

Money Well Spent?

Asked by Bud Zeller, Placerville, CA Tue Feb 14, 2012

As part of the $800 billion federal stimulus package, $783,000 was paid for a study to find out why young people consume malt liquor and marijuana. Another $219,000 paid out for a study "hookups" of college students.

"Money Well Spent" by Michael Grabell

Answers

4
well, it's politics. In order to get the stimulus part thru, probably had to agree to these studies. I'm with Lance though. Could've asked me and saved the money.

http://www.sacramentorealtor.info
Money Well Spent? Thanks for the responses. It's just our money!
Gee Bud,

You could frame any social science research as a boondoggle.

You could also think outside your box. What possible use could it these studies have? Isn't the answer obvious to everyone?

What we have learned from hard science is that the apparently obvious answers weren't always correct after all.
The world wasn't flat. Though from ground level, it sorta looked that way especially on the prairie.

Then we found out that the sun did not revolve around the earth.. although the obvious answer to the conservatives of their day was that earth was the center of the universe and everything else in the heavens moved about over and around us.

Science often takes a question that has an answer that is assumed by conventional wisdom to be thoroughly understood. Then the scientist tries to wipe all preconceived notions off the slate, to observe fresh what the results of experiments and studies are. Maybe it upholds conventional wisdom, maybe it adds fresh perspective on the problem.

One social science study I would like to see the results of is one that asked the question:

Is there any difference in the regard for the scientific method between people who identify themselves as politically conservative and the people who identify themselves as politically liberal or progressive?

I have a preconceived notion of what that answer might be, but I'll respect a different answer if it can be shown scientifically that I was mistaken.

Could getting fresh and detailed answer to the questions in those studies guide policy makers to figure out ways to discourage teen alcoholism, drunk driving, promiscuous sex, and drug use? Could the answers help us lower the tragic costs that are associated with extreme manifestations of those behaviors. If it does help, then some day in retrospect, we may indeed feel that the money was well spent.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
I could have saved them a lot of money if they just asked me