General Area in Seffner>Question Details

P R Ranjit, Other/Just Looking in Brandon, FL

Modular homes

Asked by P R Ranjit, Brandon, FL Thu Oct 2, 2008

are there any god modular home builders in Tampa area? How are they compared with the traditional homes in terms of quality? Does their value decrease over time as compared to the builders homes?

Answers

4
P R Ranjit, I work with modular homes on the west coast. In general shipping can be a large cost so most builders stick with companies that build in their area. Therefore I am not familiar with companies in your area. These homes are built to the same codes as stick built / on site built homes. The only difference is one is built in a manufacturing facility and delivered to the site to be connected to a foundation. Once in place they are the same thing as stick built. They can in general be built faster, built with high tech tools not normally found on site, kept out of wet weather, and with features to your specification and budget. So for a similar house built to the same codes, they will go up and down just like the neighbors site built home. Obviously if the neighbors home has a better view, larger rooms, crown molding, real hard wood floors, etc it will be more desirable. those are all things you can put in your modular home too and if your neighbors don't have them then your home will be more valuable. You can get carried away with extras, so be sure to compare with a local builder what their costs would be. Also check the shipping rates as that can add up on a bigger home if the house is coming a great distance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 2, 2008
There are different grades of modular homes so make sure you look at several models to know what you want or do not want prior to buying. It is a good way to save money compared to stick building and you can get just as good of a home. you should put the home on a foundation whether it is full or partial, but this will allow more financing options and a better resale value than if you park it like a mobile home and put a skirt around it. hceck with at least 2 dealers so you can compare. check out skyline homes. you will need to google them for there extact web site in your area. good luck
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 2, 2008
Here is a great resource that I saw before. http://modularhomesnetwork.com/default.asp

They show builders in Florida. The quality for Modular looks good on the ones that I have see and am considering it myself.
The only one I know is Jim Walters. If I lived in New Jersey I wouldn't mind living in this type of homes. Here in Florida, where hurricane is a concern, you'll have to pay me more to live in that type of a house.... but, I'll be happy to sell you one. I also know a guy who sells a myriad of insurance in the event you would need several.