General Area in 92115>Question Details

Ginger, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Mini Dorms around College area?

Asked by Ginger, San Diego, CA Wed Jul 9, 2008

My husband & I are looking for our first home. The College area is one of the areas we are interested in. Has there been any progress made in halting mini-dorms in the area? I haven’t heard much about it lately but many residents still have “NO MINI DORMS” signs in their yards. Are they forced to just deal with it now or has something been done to prevent them?

Much progress has been made in this area. While the situation of rentals in the College area will never go away, new rules and regulations are helping to curb it. The Residential High Ocupancy Permit (RHOP) limits a house to 5 occupants unless there is enough off street parking (5 + which most do not have) and the Rooming House Ordinance (RHO) which is coming into efffect soon, will limit a property to 2 leases (instead of 1 per student). This will deter parents who do not want to be responsible for other renters. Neighborhood associations work closely with SDPD and NCCD (Neighborhood COde Compliance Division) to solve particular problems. Many of the mini dorm moguls are now in forclosure and the more homeowners who buy these foreclosures the better!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 2, 2009
Please check these links...
Call the district office for more information at

202 C Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 236-6677
Fax: (619) 238-1360
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 9, 2008
We are very familiar with the area and even though a rental property may not meet the criteria for "mini dorm" that doesn't mean the noise, parking, and other issues are restricted to large numbers of occupants. A 3b/2b can have the same problems. If you like the college area I would suggest Rolando Village area between College and Rolando Blvd , El Cajon and University. Same with El Cerrito, between College and Collwood also between El Cajon and University. Prices are reasonable but since it's a bit out of walking range there are more families, higher owner occupancy so less of the problems.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 27, 2010
They college community has remained quite within the past few years mainly because of the $1,000 finds that were going out to homeowners and tenants. There has not been much, if any, additions to home to create mini-dorms as there was in the past. However, there are still many properties in the area that have 6+ bedrooms rented to college students.

Patrick A. Hale, CDPE, RSD
Real Estate Broker & Investor

"Help Over 360 Distressed Home Owners Avoid Foreclosure"
If You or Someone You Know is in Financial Distress Visit:
Web Reference:
I am a homeowner in the College Area, and I am also a Mortgage Banker. So, if you would like to work with a local Mortgage Professional who is intimately familiar with the neighborhood, feel free to contact me.

Brendan Bracken
Mortgage Planning Specialist since 1998

Web Reference:
You might be able to contact the city for restrictions on this obtain most accurate info.