General Area in Portsmouth>Question Details

Salesworker, Renter in Portsmouth, VA

Might have to move to Portsmouth, VA for work - Can anyone tell me about it? My wife and I are Mid to Late Twenties - how is olde towne?

Asked by Salesworker, Portsmouth, VA Thu Feb 28, 2013

How is the Ferry over to Norfolk?
Crime?
Restaurants/Bars?

Answers

12
verochford’s answer
The ferry is $1.50. I have lived in Portsmouth for 8 years. Downtown has some bars but you can always get on the ferry or drive the tunnel to get to Norfolk and Granby St. The Ferry also can take you to baseball games in the spring and summer time. it drops you right off at the entrance to the arena.

I love the Port Norfolk Area. We have lived in this area moved in when we were 22 and my husband 24 and we can walk to the Stove (platinum plate winner in Hampton roads) and the Pizza place, there is a hair place I can walk to as well as many other small stores/shops. Portsmouth is the best kept secret in Hampton roads.

Too tired to write much in response tonight but I have lived here for 17 years, raised my 2 youngest and love it but It has good and bad just like all cities in Hampton Roads. I love the central location to Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Suffolk and we're only an hour from Williamsburg.The city has a rich a interesting history. It is surrounded by water so check the neighborhoods out for past flooding problems and give the nice neighborhoods a look.. I prefer Sentara Norfolk Hospital to Portsmouth Hospitals.
Downtown is nice to spend weekends browsing antique stores, has some nice bars and coffee shops, The Bier Garden and the Commodore Dinner Theater are well known. We have a very nice City Park with boat launch.
To many some of the schools are a problem so check that out if it may be a concern to you before buying . We have great private schools here. I think the best way to do that is for new young families to move here and love here like I do. I am just an average homeowner here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013
I don't live in Damascus, don't know why my profile says I do. I live in Portsmouth, VA.
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013
Portsmouth is a poverty stricken town with a corrupt government. Google Louise Lucas and Mayor James Holley ( actually very entertaining). Mayor Holley has passed but it will give you an idea of what the city government is like in Portsmouth.
There is a large amount of crime and drugs and cops that don't do a thing about it.
Neighbors have been reported for gang activity and selling drugs three blocks away from the police station in olde town and cops have refused to do a thing about it.
All neighborhoods are full of Section 8 housing. Tax rates are the highest in the area, and two of the schools were on "probation" and about to lose accreditation
Homeless dominate the Olde Towne streets and benches during the days and warm nights
Portsmouth also has the highest use of food stamps and Welfare in the area.
Virginia Beach or Norfolk are the way to go!!
YOU WENT IN!!!!!
Flag Mon Jan 13, 2014
Portsmouth is a great city. It depends on your life style. Downtown is more youthful (lofts/apt), bars and restaurants. Also includes the historic neighborhood with mostly older residents. Mid-City is more urban. Churchland area has a calm family atmosphere (beware of the mosquitoes) The neighborhoods where it borders the western branch of the Elizabeth River are pretty nice. Every city has its crime. I would travel to Portsmouth and check it out. Norfolk Ghent is down the street from it housing development and ODU crime is up. Chesapeake (Western Branch) is great but give Portsmouth a chance. Welcome to Hampton Roads!
You would be better off elsewhere. If you are going to work in Norfolk, look into the Ghent area. The tunnels are a nightmare at rush hour. I live in Portsmouth and am looking to move. The tax rates are very high and the population is, on the average, poor. There have been several daytime robberies in my neighborhood in the past few weeks even though most of us are middle class and work for a living. Other wise, the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake is great! That's where I'm going. I used to live there and have friends there. It's a great family area with good schools, great shopping, less crime, etc.
I am in my mid 20s and have lived in P-town for a few years. Every day I love it more and more. I am close to both work in Suffolk, and all the joys of the area from the beach to Norfolk and Chesapeake in between.

Downtown I have been enjoying the Biergarden, real German food and beer and a new tapas bar, Still. At nights I can catch a good movie at the Commodore or even take a ferry to watch the Norfolk Tides play some AAA baseball.
Portsmouth isn't that bad as Korin stated unless you live in the Projects.I feel safer in downtown Portsmouth on the waterfront at 2 in the morning then I would in Downtown Suffolk at night.
However, taxes are the highest in the area and the majority of the population is in section 8 and govt assistance so those that work are getting taxed to death...

Old Towne is a nice part of town. However, if you can afford it the Ghent section of Norfolk might be more your taste.
Olde Towne is pretty. Nice walking areas. Older shops. A few nice restaurants. Have not taken the ferry. Crime - parts of P'town are disasterous but I don't believe Old Towne is bad. (There is a police report you can access by area via the internet). Not many bars.

Are you going to have to travel through the tunnels? We are getting ready to add tolls on the downtown & midtown tunnels.

For night life you will have to leave the city. VB is the place but for the most part you will PAY to be near the ocean front.

We have lived in P'town for > 11 years now.
I think that the ferry to Norfolk is still only a dollar ! Old towne is nice you can find some very nice places in Portsmouth, There are plenty of web sites where you can check crime statistics ect. There are many very nice neighborhoods in Portsmouth ....why don't you let me show some of them to you. Visit my web site http://www.ronclark.us or just call me at 757 754 8498. If you are coming to the Mid Atlantic Home and Garden show at the Virginia Beach convention center....I have a ticket for you. I only have a few so please call me first. I am a REALTOR who is also a Broker who has been practicing his craft for 12 years. Let me help you.
Only a dollar???
Hasn't been a dollar in a while and is going up to match the price of the tolls
1.75 plus each way
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
P.S. - I have googled and done research - a lot of the websites contradict the others. Want honest answers.
If you could spend a few days in Hampton Roads it would be so much better to drive around and YOU decide. Someone mentioned Western Branch which is 15 minutes away and has lots of nice places. My nice may not be your nice!
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
Hello, welcome to Hampton Roads (that's the name for the 7 cities which includes Portsmouth). It is not uncommon to work in one city and live in a nearby city since some commutes can be anywhere from 30-60 mins depending on traffic.

I would suggest that you surf the web for more specific info about crime and nice places to eat.

I have actually ridden the Ferry and it was great, especially at night.

Again, welcome!
Its always best to google and research different cities on your own.

Portsmouth VA has several pages on Facebook as well.

There are several restaurants and bars in the High St (Downtown Portsmouth- Olde Towne) area.

The ferry is a great way to travel to Norfolk, VA.

Erika Davis
Atlantic and Pacific Real Estate
Erika,

Thanks for the info. I have googled the area and read all of the web pages but I have found both positive and negative. It seems that Portsmouth may have a problem with crime, drugs, etc. Just trying to get a better feel for the area.

Thanks.
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013