General Area in 01748>Question Details

fairview1980, Renter in Boston, MA

Metrowest Towns with Good Special Education Resources?

Asked by fairview1980, Boston, MA Tue Jan 22, 2013

Dear Friends

We are considering relocating to the Metrowest area. Could you recommend a town in Metrowest (Ashland, Framingham, Holliston, Hopkinton, Natick, Sherborn, Southborough, Sudbury, Wayland, and perhaps Westborough?) that has better special education resources in the town as well as its school system?

Our one-year-old daughter has a moderate level of hearing impairments. So, in thinking about where to live in the future, our first consideration would be the level of special education resources in the town. Any suggestion will be much appreciated... thanks.


Help the community by answering this question:


I would go to the schools and ask to meet people in the special needs department.
Interview the school professionals, teachers, coaches, etc.
Walk and talk.
Read the local papers or call the papers and ask if they have done any stories about the special needs in schools and who they spoke to.

Of course choosing a local real estate pro can help you save a lot of time.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro if you need help.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2013
Hi Lisa I have two boys adopted from Bulgaria. They were school age at the time of adoption and it was quite challenging . I have been through three school districts in the last 10 years due to relications and my advicate was wirth every oenny.You are wise to start your preparation early. I suggest an advocate that specialises in your childs needs. There is a list of advocates you can browse through. google SPAN - its the special needs advocacy network. You will most likely need a professional to guide you through the process as well as IEP meetings (individualised Ed Plan). MAC is also helpful-Massachusetts Advocacy for Children. I suggest you go to /disabilities rights...also read through ADA American Disabilities Act on the DOE site. Good luck Traci Topalis
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
Seems like you have very specific needs for your child. While Special Ed laws are the same for each district, you may find some schools have specialist with skills needed by your daughter. Most towns have a SEPAC, here is Framingham's:

I would reach out to those groups to discuss your child's needs and see if they know of similar kids getting services. There is also The Learning Center in Framingham, a well known and innovative school for the deaf and hard of hearing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer