General Area in Flower Mound>Question Details

Emilysterling, Renter in Lexington, KY

MI to TX to KY back to Texas! Anyone have experience or suggestions about these places: Flower Mound, Cedar Park or Houston?

Asked by Emilysterling, Lexington, KY Thu May 3, 2012

We have researched info online but we are looking for personal views on these places, positive and negative please let us know! Some questions include: Is the heat more humid or dry? Is there water accessable for a beach or swimming area? Are there more or less bugs and creepy crawlies than the other parts of TX? Is there entertainment near by? Good shopping areas?

A little more about us too: we are 26, he's prior service, no kids yet, 2 dogs, we enjoy warm nights out walking and love the dry heat, we also LOVE Texas! Looking forward to meeting our neighbors this summer!

Answers

14
Flower Mound is a great part of the DFW Metroplex! More of a dry heat than our humid cousin city, Houston and the thermometer can (and will) hit in the 100's in the summer. Convenient to DFW airport and more shopping than anyone would ever need! Schools are consistantly ranked high and plenty of entertainment available. Of course being a native, I'm a die hard Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers fan (both local pro sports teams). The American Airlines Center down in Dallas is a great venue for concerts as well as a good Mavericks or Stars game! There is also local entertainment in Flower Mound as well as parks, Lake Grapevine, Bass Pro Shops and Grapevine Mills Mall.

Hope that helps! As a native Texan born and raised in Dallas, this is where I call home. I'd love to show you around when you get here. Hope to hear back. Ya'll take care!

Kelly Peace
Broker/Associate
REMAX North Associates
(214) 354-5204
http://www.kellypeace.com
Flower Mound is a great place to live. I am a Realtor and also a resident of Flower Mound.
Lots of shopping, close to the DFW airport, restaurants, etc. As for the heat it does get
hot but not humid like Houston. Everything is Bigger in Texas. As for a home you do
get alot more for your money. Contact me anytime.
Laurie Kash
Legacy Premier Group
Flower Mound Realtor
972.342.0929
lauriekash@yahoo.com
http://lauriekashrealestate.com
Dear Emily,
Michigan is the state I grew up in. I have lived in many Parts of the US. Texas is now my home since 1999. I live in the Flower Mound area and love it. Although, it is not near a beach but you are minutes away from two small lakes, Grapevine and Lewisville, small in comparison to Michigan's Great Lakes. Bugs, yes...largen than Michgan bugs but smaller and less than Houstons. As a realtor, you have to research the communities on your own. But I do have to say Flower Mound a bedroom community has a lot to offer, shopping, dining, entertainment and close to many major highways. I would be honored to help you out if you should choose to live in the DFW area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 4, 2012
Hi Emily, Glad you're moving back to TX! My uncle and family have lived in Richmond KY for decades so I know you are leaving a beauiful part of the country.
I have lived in the Flower Mound and Highland Village areas since 2002. It is a great quality of life, especially for families. Because of so many major sports teams in the area, there are great events going on all the time. There are also major art galleries and live performances of all genres all over the metroplex. I continue to have a good time checking out the numerous trendy restaurants, bars and clubs that a couple of 26 years old might find very fun.
Lakes Lewisville and Grapevine are just two of many man-made lakes in the DFW area. Lake Lewisville has a fun marina, Sneaky Petes, and can accomodate some of the huge boats that jet around. Lake Grapevine is smaller and is known for sailing.
It gets HOT here in the summer.....Houston is definitely more humid. If you have access to a pool and good AC in your home and car summers aren't all that bad. Best of all, winters are pretty mild.
Welcome back.....it's a great area!
becky garrison
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Flower Mound is a top ranked area of DFW . I have many clients who are residents and love it .

Direct links

Flower Mound homes for sale Flower Mound Tx
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5057290

Flower Mound homes for rent Flower Mound Tx
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5041527

Contact my office today
Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
The best area in the metroplex. ALL 3 schools exemplary. Walking Paths all around flower mound. Flower mound just named 2nd most wealthy city in the country. Flower mound high school now 9 years in a row has had more national merit scholars than any other school in the STATE. Fine arts in the school is best in state as well. Consider Flower mound HEAVILY.
Joseph Fernandez, Agent, Arlington, TX
I moved from Kentucky 3years back and woudl love the opportunity to assist you in your search. I am extremely firmilar with all cities listed above. I myself would pick Flower Mound for a variaty of reasons one of which are the school systems, HOA presence and the city budgeting. Cedar hill has it quiet communites and cozy streets however no contest. Houston however for many can be a party city yet hard to judge off of the other 2 selected due to the fact it is larger and completely different autmospher. Please Feel free to contact me let me be the go to guy for you and your family.

Joseph Fernandez
cell:817-975-7258
off: 817-635-1157
"MEETING YOUR NEEDS AND EXCEEDING YOUR DREAMS!"

Joseph Fernandez, Agent, Arlington, TX

Joseph Fernandez
cell:817-975-7258
off: 817-635-1157
email: blissfulestates84@gmail.com
web: http://www.blissful-estates.com
Hi Emily

Both my wife and I are not originally from Texas. We have been living in Flower Mound (FM) outside Dallas for 11 years.
Flower Mound shoulders part of Lake Grapevine and Lake Lewisville is a 15 - 20 minute drive.
If proximity to ocean is key then FM is probably not an area to consider.

FM is a family oriented city, but has improved the number and variety of stores and restaurants in recent years. A new park has been opened in 2012, and has a number of phases of expansion over next few years..

Best of luck in the search

local resident of FM
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
I have lived in the Flower Mound area for (10) years now and Love it. The schools are great,
great community, new shopping, new hospitals, close to DFW airport which is a plus.
Grapevine, Texas is only minutes down the road. Grapevine Mills Mall, The Gaylord,
Great Wolf Lodge, and many more fun things. If you are looking for an agent that
knows Flower Mound please do not hesitate to look me up.
Laurie Kash
Legacy Premier Group
972.342.0929
http://lauriekashrealestate.com

Recommendations found on :
http://lauriekashlinkedin.com

Joseph Fernandez
cell:817-975-7258
off: 817-635-1157
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I have lived in the Flower Mound (North DFW) Area for over 12 years now. The neighborhoods are safe, friendly and easily accessible to major highways with still getting the sleepy town feeling. Schools are good, dog schools too!. Great shopping and now movie theater as well. Weather is not as humid as Houston, 50-60% humidity in the summer. Near Lake Grapevine and Lake Lewisville. Close to DFW airport. I love this town! If you need some real estate assistance you can find me in Flower Mound. Best wishes.
Houston is muggy and the drivers are rude. I don't know anything about Cedar Park. Flower Mound, on the other hand, is wonderful. My husband and I have raised our family here, and after college they have returned and bought homes here. The heat is Texas proud, but not as humid as the Houston area. There is swimming at two very close lakes, but most homes have pools. I have not noticed an abundance of insects. There is entertainment in town, but Fort Worth and Dallas are each easily accessible. There is also local shopping.
You're in luck- I currently live in Flower Mound, I grew up just on the other side of Austin from Cedar Park in Round Rock, and my husband went to college in Houston. We're also around your age, I'm prior service and we have two golden retrievers.

Houston is muggier. But if you're from up north, it's greener, so you'll appreciate that more than the drier Austin and Dallas climates. He didn't like Houston overall, but I can't attest to more than that.

Austin (Cedar Park) has such a laid back overall atmoshpere, has some great parks, the tap water tastes great because of the aquifer, is much hllier, but is also hotter and drier than your other options. From living in both places I can tell you there is more social life to be had in the Dallas Area than in the Austin area, but the culture is deeper in Austin. I find things are more spread out in austin with fewer of everything in than in Dallas, so I personally perfer the dallas area. I visit friends and family in Austin a few tmes a year and it's always a surprise when I can't find the kinds of places I am used to having easy access to (ex, a close hotel to my aunt and uncle- 20 minutes in austin. In the dallas area, there is NO WAY that would happen. 5 minutes max).

Flower Mound is just north of what many people consider the Dallas area, but I find it to be just right. Tons of family oriented stuff to do when you DO have kids, the school district is good (it is run out of Lewisville ISD, but the flower mound side has a lot more money to sink into the schools so they are are really good. My kids go to flower mound schools) there is tons of shopping and easy access to several highways and only about a 20 minute drive to DFW airport. Because it is a newer area, Flower Mound as a whole is catered to the more elite, so eveything from the grocery stores to the gas stations are much higher end than you will find just a town over. Also, Lake Lewisville and Lake Grapevine are both 15 minute drives away and offer swimming, boating and parks. If you have trouble finding entertainment or shopping in Flower Mound, shoot me an email, I know where EVERYTHING is.

This is ALL my personal opinion, NOT my opinion as a professional. If you are interested in finding out more about the Flower Mound area, I would love to chat.

Kerri Soderberg
(214) 991-1461
KerriSoderberg@gmail.com