General Area in Raleigh>Question Details

Jeremy Miller, Home Owner in 72513

Looking for walkable, fun areas in either Raleigh or Durham

Asked by Jeremy Miller, 72513 Tue May 14, 2013

Howdy. My wife and I are thinking of moving to the Raleigh/Durham area of NC in the beginning of 2014. We've been doing lots of research on the area and it seems like a great place to raise a family. The schools are great. The crime rates don't seem to high (at least compared to New Orleans, where we currently live), and it's in a great geographic location- Close to mountains and not far from the beach.

We're in our early 30s, no kids, and we are looking for a safe (I know that's a relative term) area that has great restaurants, cafes, shops within a short walk (About a 15 minutes).

We currently live in New Orleans, and there are a few parts of town that have pretty much spoiled us. Magazine St is on the top of my mind. If you're not familiar, it's a long two lane st with tons of locally owned shops, restaurants, coffee shops, lots of foot traffic.

We will be renting for at least the first year.

We're looking for a simliar place in Raleigh/Durham. Any suggestions?!

Hi Jeremy,
You may also want to consider downtown Durham, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. Each has walkable downtown district mixing historic charm with modern flare. Plenty of shopping, dining and nightlife.
I hope you find what you're looking for.
Margaret Moore
Triangle & Coast Realty
Thanks Ladies! We'll be heading up that way this weekend. I'll let you know what we think.

Thanks for the tips!
Check out Cameron Village. Great place to eat, shop, antique and go to the library, Please contact me if you have any more questions. Good Luck! Raleigh is a Awesome place to live.
What do you think of Hillsborough St? Just judging from Google Maps, and street view it looks like a cool place. Any thoughts?
Flag Thu May 23, 2013
Look into the North Hills section of Raleigh....this would probably give you a lot of what you are looking for! Let us know if we can be of service to you in your house hunt!
I should also say we're looking to rent a 2/3 bedroom place, that allows a dog. Our budget is about $1,100/month.
Your budget for an apt could be limiting in the areas recommended to you in Raleigh - both Cameron Village and North Hills are fantastic, as is Glenwood South, but you would probably be challenged to find a nice apt for $1100. Those are trendy, nice areas.
Flag Sat Jul 27, 2013