General Area in 78745>Question Details

Fletch, Both Buyer and Seller in Austin, TX

Looking for honest build on your lot builders in Austin @ $70 sq.ft. Is that realistic these days?

Asked by Fletch, Austin, TX Tue Jul 3, 2012

Answers

13
Hi Fletch,

I'm curious as to what you were able to find out...my husband and I were just looking at our homeowner's insurance and wondering if we'd have enough coverage to build a new comparable home (we currently have 1000 SF in central Austin) on our lot in the event that something happened. We want to add on someday, but in the meantime have covered what we thought was reasonable for what we currently have (and are paying on).

Thanks!
I've compiled a list of over 30 home builders in Austin that can build on your own lot. I've worked with a lot of them and $70 PSF would be at the lowest end, if they could even do it at all.

If you want, I can go through my list of contacts and actually connect you with some of them that might be in that range - let me know by visiting my profile and contacting me through the Trulia form http://www.trulia.com/profile/EricEstate/
and I would be glad to help.

Even though there are lots of builders in Austin, most new builds are around the $100 PSF range or more. Like others have said, it depends on what you want as far as finish outs - flooring, fixtures, appliances, etc.
Ok. @70psf for building on Your lot. The key word is your lot. That means the $70 psf number is only for the building, not for the lot then you can back into it this way. In the Austin area you can purchase a new build home for abut 103psf up. Depends on size etc. The costs can be a bit higher for a smaller square foot home say under 1500 square foot. Second you have to get an idea of what level of bulid out you want. For example do you want granite counter tops? Sky Lights? are you ok with builder grade flooring, or do you need an up grade. Basically in the end take the $70 psf times your square feet of finished space, add the cost of your lot and you have a total for the home. Then figure the total square foot cost. VERY IMPORTANT, see how that compares with other homes in the area. When building you own home you can easily over build and have difficulty selling it later for what you have in the home. You certainly don't want to be in the most expensive home in your area. If you can't seem to build with in the averages for your area, check and see if you paid too much for your lot.
Closer Jack and just so we're clear, unless it's a certain builder that some of us know and work with, builder grade typically means the cheapest, of the cheapest, of the cheapest finish of materials available. I NEVER throughout loose PPSF #'s and I am a builder of the last 16 years! I see Realtors doing this all too often. There are other variables at play not accounted for: architectural fees, structural engineering fees, building permits, mechanical permits (if applicable), taxes (yes taxes pre-paid to build) through local jurisdictions, street cleaning fees if it's in a well established or older community, don't forget change orders as few people that hire the builder before the house is built actually pick at spec finish; many will upgrade tile, carpet, paint, french doors, a fireplace, stone veneer, insulated garage doors, wood flooring, ceiling fans (it gets hot in Central Texas), better attic insulation...

Remember: you get only what you pay for.
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAAAA.... Oh... I'm sorry... that's...

I'm sorry... ahem... I just haven't heard a good joke in a while. Actually $110 PSF would be considered a good price if you can get it. The builders (the Pro's anyway) are staying plenty busy in Northwest Austin right now.

If they aren't busy and they drive a beat-up truck, I'd steer clear! I'm a contractor turned realtor, with over 21 years in the real estate industry. The prices here are dirt cheap compared to ANYWHERE else I've seen in the U.S. Los Angeles PPSF (Price Per Square Foot) to build, for example, would easily be over $200 and go up from there.

Pippa, if you can get that price to build a home, I'd sure like to see it! Because even the great Wayne Morgan would love to buy some of those deals.
Scott Felder builds some of the nicest Spec Homes I've seen in my career. So nice I may have him build me one and I'm a builder!
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
no, not if you have to hire someone to build it for you. Yes if you own the land and it;s out side of a city limits and you can do 90% of the work yourself., Even then you would have to use a lot of re claimed products.
Fletch, it can be done, but it would probably be a minimal finish out quality wise, at best. I would recommend spending a little more....remember, you get what you pay for!! Plus, when/if you try to re-sell down the road, how will this home compare to others built today?? Joe
Thanks!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
$70/sf is a stretch - I would be careful of any contractor suggesting they can make some solid happen at that amount.

BTW, I'll raise the flag for Pippa - she's well-respected in the investor community here in Austin. A true professional if you are looking for an honest assessment. I'd say it's worth a few minutes of your time to call her and ask questions.

Web Reference: http://www.crowehomes.com
Thanks!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
It's going to vary a lot based on several factors, including:
-whether soft costs are included (architects, permits, engineers, etc)
-single story or two (second floor footage is cheaper)
-Utilities - does it need septic, are city connections already at the property?
-Level of finish out (largest variability)

It's very tough to generalize, but I would say that $100-$120 is going to be about your bottom price.
Thanks!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Thanks!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Email me at jguerrero 2019@austin.rr.com and let me know what you need to accomplish.
Thanks! Will do.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Fletch - $70/sqft, no. But, I can get close... $90/sqft for a typical mid-high end build out (tile floors, granite countertops, etc). This does not include the land, itself. You can call me to discuss, if you like, and I can show you examples of projects. 512-296-9541
would that be built on my lot or in a community?
Flag Fri Aug 8, 2014
Thanks Pippa. I will contac you.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Lake Hill Custom Homes

Be sure to let them know i sent you.

Trey RIpple
512-775-4900
Thanks Trey. Will do.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
$70/sqft? Totally unrealistic. It was $100 a few years ago. You can buy a very nice resale house for $70/sqft in some areas like Pflugerville or Leander, but not build for that price.

If you want to sell your house and buy another one, I'd be glad to help. You could also contact some builders and find out what a realistic price/sqft is, but you probably will be shocked to hear.

Vivianne Dordea, Realtor
Sierra Homes Realty
512-970-8814
vdordea@austin.rr.com
Thanks for response.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
no, that is too low....depending on what you are looking to build you are looking at 140 a sqf. if not more all depends.

http://www.gnmlohrhomes.com
Thank you.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Thank you.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
their contact is 512-560-5171 great builders
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012