General Area in Denver>Question Details

Dawnmenard78, Home Buyer in Glen Ellyn, IL

Looking for advice on towns/nbrhoods for best places to live in Denver with young family. Want to relocate from Chicago. Commute a non-issue as wfh.

Asked by Dawnmenard78, Glen Ellyn, IL Wed May 1, 2013

The hubby and I have been to Denver several times and love it! However, we are a little hesitant to purchase a home immediately until we know for sure where we want to invest, so we think a rental home for the first year is best choice. When ready to buy, prob looking in the 300k range.

Answers

13
If you are considering the greater Denver area, 300k buys more in Longmont than most other communities. Longmont is criss-crossed with paths and trails. Great community for a young family and there are a lot of entertainment/recreation amenities.
The Park Hill neighborhood is great if you are looking to stay in Denver metro area, also really depends on your price point!
A somewhat related topic, Dawnmenard78:

Inventory is very tight for both rentals and homes, so you might want to consider additional strategies. And don't forget rates.
You will love it. I'm from Elmhurst and went to St Francis in Wheaton a long time ago. I went to College here at DU, so I've always been in the south metro Denver area.

I think Littleton would be most like the Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Lombard area except closer to downtown Denver than you are to the Loop. There is also a lite rail that takes you downtown for anything you want to do there much quicker than the Northwestern or Metro, or whatever they call it now.

Your $300k will go alot farther here than the western suburbs there.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.
I relocated to Denver with my family a few years ago so I can say 'Been there, wore the T-shirt'.

Like all major life changing events, relocating to Denver is a very exciting adventure, but also comes with its stresses. I am often asked the question "where is a good area to move to, where are good schools... etc". Whilst facts and figures can be a helpful part of the process, the question itself is a very hard one to answer. It is difficult for anyone to say "I think you should live here because ..". Yes I might like the area but if there is one thing I have learnt along the journey it is that life throws many choices at you, and we all pick something a bit different.

Well I can arm you with pointers of areas but like when your gut will tell you you have found 'the home of your dreams', the same applies to areas. I recommend you visit lots of them, and visit them again before you find 'the one'. You will be drawn to scenery, the architecture, 'the vibe'.

So, before I say "I think you should live here", questions to be asked are future plans, your lifestyle etc. Architecture of the home will dictate certain areas, if you want a lot of land, modern lifestyle, family plans?

Most people moving here will begin in a rental home. I strongly recommend this as you want to really get used to living in an area before making firm roots. You might buy the house of your dreams, only to realize the area isn't what you hoped it would be.

Remember, your rental doesn't have to perfect. Your roots start in the area, your lifestyle will start to florish, and eventually when you come to buy, you can then find your 'dream home'

Call me with any questions - I have helped many Relocation clients with their move here because I have been in your shoes too.

Julie - 720 226 4168
I think you have the right idea. Rent for a year and then move into the right area when you are comfortable with the neighborhood. Most of the areas mentioned in these posts my firm manages properties in so feel free to call my firm and see if we have any rental listings that may be coming vacant.

David Schmidt
DenCO Property Management and Sales
303-722-9688
david@dencopm.com
dencopm.com
In my experience people relocating from Chicago love to live in Highlands, Cap Hill, Whittier, Wash Park and other neighborhoods around Downtown. You can't go wrong with any of these locations, as they are highly desirable and have a high walking score. The price may be an issue, especially a year from now, as the prices have been going up very consistently. My advice - connect with a local realtor, visit the areas you like, visit some homes in these areas and see what feels right.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Marina Bay
Cherry Creek Properties
303-835-9305
Congratulations on deciding to move to Colorado! Originally from Michigan, I moved here 14 years ago and my family loves it here. I have 3 children myself and have found that there is always something to do with the family. You are starting your move off wisely by asking questions and taking the effort to find what will work best for your family. I have found that what makes an area great for one family may not be what another family finds important, so it is important to find out what is important to your family. Do you want privacy, or a subdivision? Do you want views? Is proximity to shopping, parks, recreation center, hiking, biking, etc. important to you? What size home are you looking for? What does your family like to do in your spare time? If schools are at the top of your list you should check out this website......http://www.greatschools.org/colorado/denver/schools/?gradeLevels=e
Colorado has some great schools. If you are open to living in the mountains (since you work from home and are not concerned with the commute) I would suggest also looking at Evergreen, Golden, Morrison, and Conifer. Good luck in your search finding a place to call home in Colorado!
Dawn and family,
I relocated from IL over 20 years ago and my family LOVES Colorado! Metro Denver has lots to offer, many great schools, lots of fabulous neighborhoods and parks. In order to make a few recommendations of areas for you to consider...I would need to know...do you want to live in the big city? The berbs? The foothills? Jefferson County is very different than Arapahoe or Douglas Counties. I would love to talk with you to get more information in order to provide you with more detailed, informative information. Joyce Sedam, Cherry Creek Properties LLC, jsedam@gmail.com 720-934-7085
Hi Dawn,

Congratulations on making the decision to move to Denver! Chicago is a great city, but Denver is the best of all the places I've lived.

Your strategy is good - it will give you an opportunity to get the lay of the land and explore some of the wonderful neighborhoods in and around Denver. We handle property management (rentals) as well as sales and purchases, so we might be able to help you get situated and then start getting to know your new home. What's your time frame? We have some very nice homes available for rent right now! ;-)

Karen lived in Chicago for many years. Give us a call or send an email and we can talk about your family's requirements and preferences.

Tony & Karen
720-427-4836
Hi Dawn,

Denver is a tremendously hot real estate market experiencing a thirty year low in inventory. The rental scene is just as hot with escalating rents. Your criteria of what is most important to you should help determine what neighborhood you end up in. I have a neighborhood booklet I can send you if interested. It covers 60+ neighborhoods in Denver. You may want to consider getting set up with property alerts as well, which is a must in today's market.

Andy Eisenbaum
Broker-Owner

Irontree Real Estate
(303)335-9801
Andy@IrontreeRE.com
Web Reference: http://www.IrontreeRE.com
Hi - I am from nearby St Charles, IL, originally : ) It depends on how inside or outside the city you want to be. Some place very similar to Glen Ellyn is Louisville. Further out with a cute downtown and very rapidly growing housing sector is Brighton. Lone Tree & Highlands Ranch to the south would offer a lot of outdoor activity. In the city, there are many amazing neighborhoods, depends on what flavor you want - a bit hipster Urban trendy (but still some strollers) is Baker, more strollers in Washington Park & Congress Park. I live in Cherry Creek North, which is more duplexes and less in the way of upstairs bedrooms (more emphasis on 2BRs up with 1BR in the lower level, larger living spaces). In NW Denver, Highlands is super, super fabulous as is Tennyson with some of its outskirts blocks still up & coming and affordable. All in all, a lot to offer. I HAPPEN to be driving out to see my family over Memorial Day - I'd be happy to grab a coffee and chat in person! http://-www.NicciHyatt.com
There are so many great neighborhoods in Denver. Do you want to be close to the mountains or close to the airport? In the $300K range you are looking at smaller ranch homes in areas such as Mayfair Park, North Park Hill, Virginia Village, etc. If you are open to townhomes or condos, you can find something in the $300K or under in neighborhoods such as Lowry, Stapleton and Mayfair. The rental market is really strong so you may lose out on a few rentals but some landlords are flexible and can allow you to sublease. Renting gives you the option of exploring the city and really knowing what you want and what area to concentrate on. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk about areas and see some things in your price range.

Cheers,
Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
303-913-5858