D. C .P, Other/Just Looking in Robbinsville, NJ

Looking for a walkable town with things to do in central NJ.

Asked by D. C .P, Robbinsville, NJ Sun Oct 7, 2012

like Princeton but w/o Princetons price tag. I must stay in NJ bc of my job so that limits our options. I also despise McMansions or any boring look-alike housing development. Do any towns in nj offer what we are looking for, or are we stuck with strip malls and chain stores forever?

Answers

6
Mary Petti-ABR,SFR, Relocation’s answer
DCP,

If McMansions and development housing are not your thing, then Metuchen is a PERFECT place for you.

Check out this page: http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/new_jersey/metuchen/08840

Scroll down a bit, then next to "Overview" click any of the highlighted tabs to get more specific information

Older homes with charm and craftsmanship you don't see in newer homes (but don't assume that they are not upgraded with AC, upgraded kitchens/baths and other amenities).
Homes in every price range and size.
Walkable downtown with lovely shops/restaurants some with outdoor seating. (and it is actually Main St).
Most homes walkable to the NYC train direct to Princeton (about a 22 minute train ride to Princeton Station or a 45 minute drive to Pennington).
Close to Route 287, Route 1, GSP, and Turnpike
Small population (about 16,000).
Small schools (only 1 elementary, middle and high school) well ranked in the NJ School report card.
Full service YMCA in town

In town is a local theater showing movies or live shows with local acting. There is a farmers market on the weekend. During the year there is an antique car parade, Metuchen Fair, and other community activities. Close to Roosevelt Park and their outdoor "Plays in the Park" series every summer, fishing, and an iceskating rink.

I would be happy to discuss your needs in more detail. Just give me a call at 908-675-0167 or email me at PruMaryNJ@aol.com for a no obligation discussion.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
while you indicate preference not to go further north, if you consider slightly north of Pennington, Lambertville may be just what you seek. Its probably the area's most similar town excepting no university influence.
Red Bank has walkable streets with a variety of housing and history.
if not too small cranbury, Pennington and Hopewell Boro. (much less to do than Princeton but thats part of why Princeton is pricey) That said if you are willing to take fix er upper or busy road Princeton can be reasonable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
It looks like the first part of my question got cut off...I work in Pennington and my husband works in Lawrenceville. We don't want to go any further north.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
May I suggest, So Orange and Maplewood as towns to look in. There is a Performing Arts center, house tours of older homes in Montrose, coffee shops, apple picking at near by areas, farmer's markets, Short Hills Mall,
If I can be of further help please email me at cherreschwartz@ gmail. or go to my site
cherreschwartz.com that talks about these towns. Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012