General Area in Austin>Question Details

Kezzalynch, Home Buyer in Portland, ME

Looking for a short-term rental home while we scout Austin!

Asked by Kezzalynch, Portland, ME Wed Jan 16, 2013

Hi all-
My husband and I are considering moving from Boston to Austin in the near future. Real estate options are fairly dismal and $$ here, and we do love Austin. We're hoping to rent a place for 2-3 months while we explore different neighborhoods and houses and while I weigh my job opportunities there. (He telecommutes and can work from anywhere).

We have a 3 YO child and would love to rent a 2-3 BR furnished home in a central-ish area (Travis, SoCo, Bouldin, Hyde Park, etc.), but this doesn't seem to be easy... Any suggestions for us much appreciated!

Answers

11
Thanks all for the many helpful answers! Will reply to some of you soon.

Best-
Kerry
Hi Kezzalynch, When you start home shopping - my 4 bdrm/2.5 bath home in a very nice area in the middle of West Lake Hills is coming up for sale soon. Check out Eanes School district for your child.

balopes
House manager would be a possible good fit as was mentioned but they typically want to use your furniture and it must be nice to qualify. You also have to be ready to show the home at a moments notice and also vacate once the home is sold. The last part would probably not be a problem with your short term horizon. I have worked with several of these companies with listings and it may be a good fit for your situation.

_______________________________________
Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com | http://www.AustinListed.com
Call me I can help!
I have 9 short term rentals
512 965-7790

I have a client(and good friend) that has a furnished 2 bedroom/1 bath in SOCO. However, it is not available during SXSW(March 7th-17th)

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
Look under Homeaway.com or vrbo.com There are lots of rental homes in & around the Austin area. I live in the Georgetown area--which is only 26 miles from downtown Austin. Great schools & affordable housing! Check out my website at http://www.morrisonrealtygroup.com
Hello Kezzalynch,

I could set you up in a furnished 1 bedroom condo, if you can't find a 2-3 bedroom home.
Hi Kezza,

I know of 11 properties that are month to month rentals and I would be happy to send you the info on them.

David
Good morning!

I specialize in short term rentals here in Austin, this one in Hyde park is gorgeous! http://www.vrbo.com/437407

We also have a few in the Zilker neighborhood.

Let's talk!
michelle@ultimaaustin.com

Michelle Adams,
REALTOR® GRI, CNE
Real Estate Consultant
Ultima Real Estate
512.574.2969 cell | 512.852.4412 fax | 512.22CONDO Office
http://www.UltimaAustin.com
Find me on: LinkedIn | Zillow.com | About Me |Trulia
Please review Information about brokerage services
Current Government Affairs Committee Member
RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL
Sales | Leasing | Purchasing | Land
Short term SFR's are usually in short supply. You may have to settle for an apartment, or consider an extended living residence. That being said, often early in the year landlords will consider a short term rental that will allow them to align their property with the peak market times so it might be possible to find one listed as a long term that will consider a short term that accomplishes the goal. I've helped many do that over the years, and am willing to invest the time it takes to help. If you are not already working with an agent, give me a call or E-mail me to discuss your options.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
GRI, CRS, ABR, CLHMS, e-Pro
512-799-3239
austin_realtor@earthlink.net
http://www.austinonlinehomes.com
Jeffrey Schnabel, Broker, Austin, TX
Hi Kezzalynch,

If you don't have any pets, and it's just short term, consider acting as a house manager. You get the benefit of really low rent, often times the home is already furnished, but you do have to put up with the home being shown to prospective buyers. That is, the home is for sale, staged by a third party, who also puts home managers in the homes to make them looked lived in. Besides the inconvenience of having to show the home, you also have to keep it relatively spotless.

If that doesn't float your boat, consider hooking up with a short term rental property, but be prepared to pay hotel rates (pretty expensive). Try HomeAway.com for some good options.

Or you might find an extended stay contract at a downtown hotel, or near downtown hotel, might also have side benefits, but be of similar cost. You get made service, but the space would be pretty limited compared to a house rental.

What would help is knowing the size of the space you're looking for.

Jeffrey
512-913-7480