General Area in San Diego>Question Details

cjarczyk, Renter in Port Orchard, WA

Looking for a family friendly neighborhood near the naval base.

Asked by cjarczyk, Port Orchard, WA Sat Mar 9, 2013

My family is looking to move to the San Diego area for our next permanent change of station with the US Navy. We are looking to rent a home in a family friendly neighborhood which is 45 minutes or less from the naval base. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Answers

9
First - Welcome to paradise!

Second, the closer you are to good downtown areas the less home you get for your money. Many of my clients move to San Diego looking for a detached home, but after looking at commute and various quality of life issues, choose attached townhomes closer to work.

If you share a bit more about your need we all can help:
Definition of 'family friendly': quality schools, low crime, tons of activities, diverse, religious - peoples definition varies dramatically.

Bedroom / bathroom requirements

Garage requirements

Yard mandatory? Or would nearby community park be okay?

Price range or monthly payment requirements?

Hope to be able to help!

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
It's hard to recommend anything without a price range!! Perhaps you can share that with us!
Tons of Navy families live in Scripps Ranch. It is an amazing community that is centered around families. The schools are top notch and the neighborhood is feels like a small town where neigbors take care of neighbors.
I live in Scripps Ranch and am a neighborhood realtor. Please let me know if you would like more information or help finding a home for your family.
Felicity Hunter
Triple Advantage Real Estate
http://www.homesbyfelicity.com
I would recommend considering Base Housing first, but if you would like to rent a house I could assist with that as well. I am in the Navy myself and know how tough it is to PCS from one state to another. Feel free to contact me at 619-565-3604 or scottie1421@gmail.com
I'd take a look into Mira Mesa, Utc or 92122,(mainly condos/townhouses though, not many single family) and Carmel valley area along the 56 freeway. As far as commute time it will depend on when you would be leaving for and getting off work. Some commutes are pretty brutal, not LA brutal but enough to be aware of when making your decision.
If you are at North Island then Eastlake, Point Loma, Mission Hills are good areas!

Frederick Remick
619-519-3287

It depends which base you are talking about. There is Miramar and North Island. If you are at Mira Mar then Scripps Ranch, Poway, and some parts of Clairemont would be great for your family. The schools are better in Poway/Scripps...FYI
How near do you feel comfortable with and what is your budget? Buying or renting? I'd be happy to assist if you give me a call.

Jim Fishinger
760-518-3994
La Mesa is great, Eastlake in Chula Vista, Poway may be pushing the driving time but great area. You could also use this site to help you http://www.liveclassy.com/ or this one http://sandiego.about.com/od/livinginsandiego/tp/tp_suburbs.htm