General Area in Gibbon>Question Details

Brad, Other/Just Looking in Swea City, IA

Looking for Northern Leader Company. And do they still sell Wood Furnaces?

Asked by Brad, Swea City, IA Fri Nov 27, 2009

Northern Leader Company. Does this company exist anymore? They either sold or manufactured Wood Furnaces in Gibbon MN. I have a Wood Furnace that has there company tag etc... This goes back to 1981-82. I'm just curious cause I need parts for my furnace if it is at all possible to obtain someone or somebody that would know something about this. Thanks Brad Reddy

Answers

8
Just me again! I found out that these furnaces were made in New Hope. The company is still in business and I think Northern Tool is a vendor for their goods. Check northerntool.com. Liz 612-986-4105
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 27, 2009
I have a Northern Leader for sale, what do ya need? Yes they were mfg, in Gibbon MN, contact Blacks Antiques, they may be alble to give more on info. dtostenson@mchsi.com
I have a 18-23 furance and would like to know how to wire the power to the furance which also has a bonnet control, fan and wall thermostat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Leland
I have the same stove and are trying to get a manual to show the wiring. Have you had any luck?
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
The guy in gibbon sold out to a company in New Hope but that company went out of business. He does have a few used northern leaders and I'm sure he has other parts laying around. I would have to dig up his number because he is unlisted and is now an antique dealer in Gibbon
They do not make the stoves anymore but the guy in Gibbon has parts. The only parts he has is the grates that go in the bottom. All the other parts can be obtained from menards, ebay or out of an old house furnance. They are preaty simple units but work very well.

Matt
I ended up on this site after doing a search for Northern Leader Wood Furnace so I hope it's ok to post here - just now realized it's a real estate site and am adding this after having written this entire post....
I too have a Northern Leader Wood Furnace 18-23 and am having trouble with the damper adjustment gadget on the front of the stove that one can turn to open or close the little damper below the woodbox and am hoping someone can help with what to do.
The problem is it's started sticking so the damper either is in full-blown open or it shuts down when it shouldn't.
The little knob is on a metal rod that goes through a spring coil then into the front of the stove. My guess is this metal coil, based on the amount of heat coming through the top of the stove and into the ventwork to the house, regulates itself by expanding or contracting which operates the chain up or down that goes to the damper. For some reason though the metal rod is sticking and not allowing things to work correctly.
I've used WD40 to clean the rod, coil and area around it and then used 3-1 oil on the spring, coil and rod as well to lubricate it.
The problem was discovered when I smelled HOT in the house and the damper was WIDE open which allowed the stove to very much overheat... That's when I stopped burning in it, cleaned and oiled it etc... but now the problem is the damper shutting and stiffling the fire when I"m wanting to get a roaring fire going.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! And US Stove was very helpful when I needed a thermodisc when mine burned out and the blower wouldn't stop blowing. That fixed the problem and the blower is working beautifully now!

I would LOVE to find an old owners manual if anyone out there has one! :o)

Have checked Northern Tool - they did not take over Northern Leader and it appears Northern Leader just plain stopped business instead of selling to another company or new owner so if anyone knows where these stoves or stove parts can be located I'd greatly appreciate your help!

M. F. in Nebraska
I had the same issue and solved it by opening the damper on high to light the fire then when most of the bark burned off and the fire was going well i would shut it completely down with lots of slack in the chain that opens and closes the damper, then i would stick a small allan wrench in the opening like a hook so the handle (long) part of the wrench was hanging down this would keep the damper open just enough to fan the coals I think it was a eighth maybe 16th inch wrench. My wood lasted the same amount of time with my fire burning nicely not smoldering. it seemed to foul the chimmny up less. I burned 22 years without an issue with my northern leader, I did have a steel supply place make me a new grate of high carbon steel when the original burned out and I replaced the original blower once also, remember they need to be oiled occasionally. We have since moved and I miss my wood stove. came to this site because Iam thinking of putting one in my new home.
Flag Sat Aug 25, 2012
I also have a Northern Leader wood furnace. My tag says Gibbon, MN as well. I love this stove and have used it annually since I bought it in the early 80's. It is well built and will definitely out live me. What parts do you need for it? Mike
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2009
You might contact yukon-eagle.com. They are in Palisades MN and are very knowledgeable about wood furnaces and those manufactured in MN. Good luck! Let me know if I can help you further. Liz, 612-986-4105