General Area in Ocean City>Question Details

Deborah Mars…, Home Buyer in Lewes, DE

Looking at a duplex in the northend. how were the rentals for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. beach block. older home. very clean. street parking only

Asked by Deborah Marshall, Lewes, DE Tue Oct 19, 2010

when is the best time to settle on this property? Would it be the end of December or go into January? What can I charge for rentals? Do I need to add cleaning cost? Each unit sleeps 6 comfortably. No heat. window a/c units. should I upgrade in any way to get the rentals. Is it important to put a/c in or heat? How much insurance is necessary for this property. I know I need flood insurance, but what will be the average cost?

Answers

2
You can charge whatever you like for rentals. The key question is "what are people willing to pay?" If this property has not been rented previously, and has no customer base, you are going to have to steal tenants from someone else. Adding a property to the rental market does not increase the number of tenants available, so initially, at least, you are going to be able to get bookings at prices at or below those for similar properties. I do not think that central air is your first investment, as long as you have window a/c in each of the bedrooms and one in the main living area. I have rented the lower half of my beach block duplex for more than 10 years, and I can tell you that people want decent kitchens and bathrooms, a spotless property, and decor that makes them feel like they are on vacation. This means that chlorox and paint are your new best friends. If the kitchen is dated and/or hard to keep clean, put some money there. Are the beds in good shape? Comfortable seating in the living room? A table and enough chairs to sit at for dinner? Keep in mind that most people look only online before they select a vacation property, and you will be competing against those properties that are already listed. We have a large north end rental inventory, and you can go to monihan.com and search our rentals by location and amenities to see what your competition looks like.

With respect to insurance, your flood insurance depends on the elevation of your first floor and the distance to the beach more than any other factors. If you are financing the deal, your lender may require specific amounts for your homeowner policy. Regardless, it makes sense to have your place insured for replacement cost, and you want liability insurance that covers tenancy as well.

The sooner you settle, the better. You want to get the place into shape and get it listed with local realtors and live on their websites as soon as possible!

Joan Farrell
Realtor Associate
Monihan Realty Inc.
717 Battersea Road
Ocean City NJ 08226
800-255-1311 office
609-517-7644 cell
joan@monihan.com
Your thinking is correct. The best time to close is Nov.-Dec. You will begin to receive rental checks in Jan. and they will continue all Spring. Cleaning will cost you $75+ each Saturday. Central air is probably the best investment you can make. It can add $200.+/week to your rentals. Paying for itself in a short time.
I would have to see the property to give you a weekly rate and guestimates for insurance. You will need a total property package Liability/Fire/Flood. Make sure it includes interior coverage, you might have to add that.
My office is in the north end and we sold out of rental properties last summer!
I can help you with all aspects of Ocean City Real Estate if you need.
Gene R. Candeloro
Weichert Realtors
660 Asbury Ave
Ocean City, NJ 08226
1-609-231-3402 Cell