General Area in Tempe>Question Details

S. F., Home Owner in 07607

Long shot - But is there anyone here who has moved to Tempe area from NJ/NY area and willing to share their experience?

Asked by S. F., 07607 Sat Nov 12, 2011

Cost of living seems considerably less, but wondering how jobs/things to do/etc. compare?

Answers

6
I moved here in 1978. The weather is ideal 8 months out of the year, very warm 2 months, and exceptionally hot (though dry, unlike New York) for 2 months. Cost of living is less and the people are much more friendly. Nothing compares with Manhattan but I think you would love it here. The job market depends on your skills.
We came to Scottsdale, AZ in 1980, from New Hampshire; and we are still here because we love the climate and the long "perfect-weather" winters. We live in a neighborhood where many people have small lawns in front of home and green lawns in back; and all are shaded with large trees in order to feel cooler during the hot summers. We also have a pool and usually take an evening swim to cool down if out shopping, working, etc. during the hot days os summer. The winter weather is like a continuous, cool and mild Eastern Spring. Could never return back East after enjoying this area. We are also only 2-4 hours drive away from mountains, lakes and cooler weather up North. We miss the NH countryside so we often go up to Payson or Prescott to hike and enjoy the beautiful state forest trails.

I hope this helps you make a decision. We visited several times before we made our decision to move; however, we new from the first visit that this would be our personal paradise. People are very friendly and helpful here for the most part, especially in the small towns surrounding Phoenix.

Best wishes!
I have family in Scottsdale and Tempe area and visit often. I grew up in Yonkers, NY, so I can tell you that the desert is very different! I hope you've had a chance to visit and do some homework online. There are many reasons why the snowbirds flock down this way. There is a lot of tourist business from the snowbirds, but the summers many people leave because of the heat, or stay of out the sun during the hot part of the day. I really could never imagine myself going back to shoveling snow, dealing with the winters up north, there is a lot to be said for a warmer area. Good Luck! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 12, 2011
My husband moved from Portland Maine to New Mexico and then to Tempe, Arizona. He loved Tempe - in fact he still owns a home there. Once he got past the desert look and the arid climate he fell in love with the Southwest as a whole. The weather is nice (although summers can be super hot!) and there are tons of great restaurants/shopping/concerts/sporting events/outdoor activities, etc. It's an easy drive to a lot of places (including Mexico) and quick flights to Vegas, LA, etc.

If you need more information feel free to email me!
Web Reference: http://www.gocompass.net
Hi S F

Went to Arizona State, lots to do , winters are mild.

Summers are hot, but costs are real low, job market depends on what you do.

Perry
Dear SF:

I am from Yonkers New York. Been in the Scottsdale and Tempe areas living and working since 1986.

Both Scottsdale and Tempe have active downtowns with lofts and street restaurants and cafes.

You will like the winters better.

Try Joe's NY Pizza in Scottsdale, Red Devil Pizza in Tempe or NYPD Pizza for the closest to you NY/Jersey pizza fix. Will not be able to match though.

Let me know how I can help you.

Jeff Masich
HomeSmart Realty
Arizona Homes and Land
Scottsdale
Web Reference: http://ArizonaHomesLand.com