General Area in Kingston>Question Details

Avitus10, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Living in Kingston, New York

Asked by Avitus10, Brooklyn, NY Sun Mar 2, 2014

We're thinking of getting a weekender in Kingston. What's it like?

Jon

Answers

4
Avitus10,

Kingston is not at all like Brooklyn.....but....

From Brooklyn to Kingston is about an hour by car.....it isn't like traveling to the furthest corner of the earth. Consider taking a drive to investigate what Kingston has to offer for yourself. You'll find this impression to be of much more value than relying on the impressions of others.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2014
First let me preface my comments with, "I am not a realtor". In addition, I relocated from Albany, NY about 6 years ago and purchased a home just over three years ago. It depends on whether you want something in the city or outside the city limits, more country. Either way, it is a community that is trying hard to remake itself. IBM had a major facility in this area and after it closed (many years ago), the community took a hit. Property values are reasonable and there are many of your popular chain stores (Home Depot, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc). In addition to your normal chain grocery stores, a wonderful family owned market called Adams. Great place to buy produce and garden supplies. Like any community there is one area of the city where you might not want to purchase property. Off Broadway and some of the surrounding side streets but again, there is an effort to improve these areas. Uptown Kingston is very historic and a fun place to poke around with some lovely restaurants. The lower area is called the "Roundout" and it is situated on the Roundout Creek. Also very historic and some lovely old homes just waiting to be loved. Several restaurants and small shops to browse around and some are located on the waterfront. There are several small surrounding communities and one in particular (Port Ewen) has Hudson River properties. I rented a condo (Riverview) there for two years before I purchased a home and you would be 15 minutes from the major shopping areas. Some folks absolutely love living in the condos,no maintenance just unlock the door and walk in and a swimming pool maintained by the staff. But I wanted my own home, hence the move. People in this area are very welcoming and community minded so it is a nice place to settle. Just do your homework before you buy. How much time do you have to spend at your second home? Do you want to spend your time working on the yards and home or would you rather come here and just relax and enjoy the area. Good luck.
Kingston has in my opinion one of the highest qualities of life in Ulster County. It's rich in history, walkable and has all the amenities a small City could want, such as restaurants, theaters, galleries, unique shops and close proximity to large retail outlets. It's close to lots of outdoor recreational resources and the rural countryside and all it has to offer is only minutes away.

It's soon to be directly connected to two major rail trail systems and a third is currently being planned. Currently these trails are just a short drive, walk or bike from the City It also has one of the greatest housing stocks in the area, situated in at least 12 different and distinct neighborhoods, spread out over the historic uptown stockade area, Midtown and the historic Rondout waterfront.

I could go on, but suffice to say Kingston is one of the Hudson Valley's best kept secrets and like most small cities, its heart and soul is not always apparent from few main thoroughfares that traverse it. Take a few of the roads less traveled!
Affordable. Uptown has great food and drink. Live music scene. Near to farms, water, hiking, lots of artists have moved there because it is affordable, so it have a good open feel.