General Area in 30314>Question Details

Richard, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Large power lines in areas of Vine City - Atlanta, GA 30314. Are there any dangers or is that a myth?

Asked by Richard, Atlanta, GA Sat Apr 26, 2008

Looking in area of VINE CITY Atlanta, Ga - zip 30314 - next to the World Congress Center. There is a large Ga Power facility on Northside & Simpson St. Large wires run down Simpson St and the blocks surrounding. I went to the property at night and I can hear the "hummmm" of the power boxes overhead . On some blocks the hummm is very loud but on others the humm is very low but I can hear it none the less... Im wondering if thats dangerous in any way or is the electric waves from power lines as harmless as cell phone , radio or tv waves...?

Answers

3
Richard,

I read through all 3 of your questions and the subsequent answers. You are wise to seek a good buy in Vine City - on a tree lined street, maybe on a bluff or ridge overlooking the downtown skyline with a remarkable view - properties that fit this description are in Vine City!

Nevertheless, Vine City is a house by house, street by street neighborhood. I have been concerned for my safety more than once on some of the streets of Vine City. You need to be duly diligent, secure and smart.

At the same time, you seem to have a grasp of the obvious - the issue about powerlines is a compromise that will surely leave you powerless when you decide to resell.

Why don't you buy the old English Avenue school and renovate it into some cool contemporary lofts?

Get your real estate on.
If the power lines are an issue to you now, they will be an issue to buyers when you decide to sell. There is a lot of controversy regarding high tension power lines. I would avoid this property.
I agree with Edward---avoid the property if possible. If all else works for you, and you're still interested in the property, make sure you're getting it for a price that is significantly lower than similar properties without this "incurable defect". This is simply because you know that you'll have to make pricing concessions when you go to sell the property in the future, so you need to build those into your financial model now.