General Area in Gilbert>Question Details

Eric, Other/Just Looking in Duarte, CA

LA, CA to Gilbert, AZ

Asked by Eric, Duarte, CA Fri Jul 13, 2007

I am contemplating the move from Los Angeles to Gilbert. Is this a good move? I am in the market for a buying a home and I feel that Arizona might just be the place.

Answers

21
It is a great time to be a buyer in the Southeast Valley. Low interest rates and market stresses on resale properties and new builds alike have created a near perfect storm for buyers. Builders specifically have been offering outrageous incentives and price reductions to stay ahead of the pack. Just be honest with yourself about your long term plans. If you envision living in the home for a while, you need not concern yourself too much with the current market risks. If you see it as more of a stepping stone property, be aware of the difficulties that can be encountered in selling a resale property in an expanding area with plenty of land still available for development. In any area exploding with growth, the long term prospects for substantial appreciation are excellent, but homes that come back on the market after only a year or two face the daunting prospect of competing with all of the new construction in addition to the resale market. You might consider arranging an appointment with one of the Southeast Valley specialists on these boards to visit some property and get a feel for the community. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.RayandPaul.com
Ask yourself please what kind of people and culture you want to live around. I am also from LA and have been in Gilbert 3 years. Worse move I ever made and now I'm stuck in my house. The culture here is VERY different from CA. I cannot stress enough that if you come here please rent and see if it's for you. Once you buy you are probably stuck because the market here is horrible. Yes, cheap homes, but nobody wants them so you will own it for the foreseeable future. I'm not trying to scare you, I just think it's a big move and I wish someone had warned me. I wish you the best of luck.
Sorry to hear you don't love Gilbert! Gilbert has a small town feel that may not be desirable to some but LOTS of people want to live there. If you want to sell your home, I am sure there are many people who would love to buy it :)
Flag Mon Jul 28, 2014
Yes! I love the SE Valley. Have you recently visited the area? You may want to come out during the middle of summer as that will determine if you truly want to live here. Why are you leaving Los Angeles? Are you retired? Will you be looking for work or transfering positions? Right now there are great deals everywhere regarding real estate. Think about what type of lifestyle you are looking for and this will make it easier for you to decide on the location. If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me. I have lived and worked out here 37 years. I would love to show you around.

Cynthia Knight 480-231-6567
I have lived in the East Valley for 40 years. I know the area, price fluctuations and school districts well. If I can be of help, let me know. Thank you.

Becca
West USA
Eric,

Are you drawn to Gilbert for any specific reason? The Valley has grown so much that it may be in your best interest to look around before settling in one location. A knowledgeable agent can help you go over some other options and expose you to areas you may have never heard of before.
I would look at Scottsdale over Gilbert. Long term property values are better in Scottsdale.
Web Reference: http://GetPrequalified.com
What I meant by low pressure is that I will NOT be sending a answer to Eric everyday ...I just put out my invite to him...the ball is in his court......same as all the other agents that answered him with their info...etc. How is that is high pressure?....if you have great services to offer, don't you tell someone???....anyway... I didnt mean to offend anyone ....sorry
Cat, that's your idea of low pressure ...? Jeez.
Eric,

Most of my clients are relo's from Cal.....I myself came from Cal, in 1992...I love it here...We have some homes in Gilbert for sale. I could show you them via the email....send me a note with your email address....Lets me send you some information, Does that sound fair? I am Cat Jones, Real Estate Specialist with US Preferred Realty.......I am affilated with the #1 Mortgage company... Nationally ! who could help you find out in minutes, what you qualifiy for (they have 1800 programs to choose from.....How does that sound?)

If you want a 1 stop shop with low pressure, top notch service, email me at catjones2844@yahoo.com......look forward to hearing from you.
Eric,

According to Forbes magazine Gilbert is currently one of the top destinations for relocating. If you have the time, register at a website where you can view different properties within a community (such as http://www.SearchMorrisonRanch.com) or the entire East Valley Area http://(www.SearchTheEastValley.com). Track a few properties that may be to your liking then see how the market does. Do the properties you have selected sell? Are prices still adjusting downward? Or are sales brisk?

Then by all means please make it a point to visit beautiful Gilbert, which I have called home for the past 10 years, and meet with an agent that is familiar with the area. Ultimately, the decision will be yours. I can tell you that most of our responses will be a bit biased, because quite frankly, we love Gilbert and wouldn't think of any other place to live! hope you come to the same conclusion.

Nelson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2007
My assistant made the same Los Angeles to Gilbert move about four years ago and loves it (she was tired of it taking 45 minutes to drive17 miles).

Gilbert offers relief from the L.A. crowding and traffic congestion. Despite being among the fastest growing cities in the nation, the city planners are doing a stellar job of creating open spaces throughout the city and now even boasts the nation's best dog park (Cosmo Dog Park).

Shopping is springing up throughout the city and is equally well-planned; you won't have to go far to get what you need! Major shopping complexes are targeted for completion this fall; not the usual concrete boxes either; beautiful open shopping areas that encourage one to get out and walk. Nice restaurants with outdoor seating will be available too (it's not always 110 here...fall through early spring is quite nice)!

If you are a horse lover, there are many acre-plus size properties and the city is networked with riding trails. Properties throughout the city are plentiful and affordable in every size and price range. Come take a look!
Web Reference: http://www.ElainesMap.com
Not only is Gilbert a great place to live and work, it's a great time to be a buyer in Gilbert! We are in a very strong buyer's market! As of today, there are 2698 single family homes on the Active on our MLS in Gilbert alone. I would suggest contacting a Realtor here and have a custom search set up that will allow you to monitor the market from you computer in CA. Once you see what your dollar will buy here, hop on a plane and visit the area! Good Luck and remember, finding the perfect home should be fun, so have a great time!
Web Reference: http://www.AmySellsAZ.comn
Check out the website I am working on for just Gilbert Arizona. I am attempting to create a single site where everything you could ever want to know about Gilbert may be found.
Gilbert is very different than LA and it is a great place to live. However, only you can decide if it is the right place for you. Gilbert is one of the fastest growing cities in the US over 150,000. You can buy a lot of home for the money there. The schools are great and there are many very nice neighborhoods to choose from. With the completion of the 202 freeway, the commute is much easier to the downtown PHX area. There are lots of new restaurants and shopping areas. With the buyer's market we are currently experiencing, now is a good time to buy.

Best of luck

Rick Dobbles
Realty Executives
480-948-9450
Only you can decide it this is a good move for you! I recently relocated to Gilbert from Laguna Niguel (South Orange County) and am very pleased with my decision to move to the Valley of the Sun.

The Southeast Valley of Phoenix is experiencing substancial growth. There are many options if you are thinking about a new home construction or purchasing a re-sale home. If you are seriously contemplating taking the next step I would strongly encourage you to find a Realtor to help you navigate through the very generous inventory of homes currently on the market.

Be ready for what some significant differences between LA and Gilbert -

- it's warm here, but it's a dry heat :)
- it has been my experience that the people here are much more down to earth and genuinely friendly.
- $300,000 might buy a small condo in LA ~ You will feel like a kid in a candy store with $300,000 in Gilbert!
- When you need an LA fix, airfares are cheap and if you're into driving...not a bad roadtrip either!

I give Gilbert, AZ a big "thumbs up".
Web Reference: http://www.EdLankeit.com
Arizona is a great place to live. It is a buyers market, so the time is right. Gilbert is much different than LA, so consider what your motivations are, job, location, family, etc. You will like that we are close to many things, the grand canyon, las vegas, LA, mexico, New Mexico. Keep in mind it is hot, but not to worry just a few hours north to flagstaff or sedona and you'll find relief. The drive is probably no worse than sitting in that LA traffic all day. If you want further assistance please let me know. I am a mortgage broker and have many references that can assist you with your move.
Hi Eric,
I moved from the Los Angeles area in 1988, and really love it here.
There are lots of nice areas for you to live in , including Gilbert.
I would be glad to give you other information of other nice areas to live in Phoenix. Let me know what you are looking for and I will be glad to get you the information that you might need to make a great decision.

Scott Sonken
Keller Williams Realty Professional Partners
14239 W. Bell Road #101
Surprise, AZ 85374
623-297-5000
Web Reference: http://vip.scottsonken.com
Hello Eric -

Gilbert is certainly one of the fastest growing communities in our metro area. A very nice community to live in. Below is a link that might be of interest ...... Arizona State Department of Education.

Good luck in your endeavor.
Web Reference: http://www.ade.state.az.us/
Hi Eric,
Gilbert IS a great place for many folks... great schools, freeways all close by, and low crime. In 1980, we had 5000 residents. In 2007, we have 195,000. There must be something in the water, but folks just seem to like this place!
Gilbert is definitely one of the more desireable cities in the SE Valley, with plenty of shopping, dining, and excellent schools. Check out the official website of Gilbert for more information on the area, http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/.
This will probably depend mostly on your motivation to move. You money will certainly travel well from California to Gilbert, and I would take a close look at the lifestyle factors that are important to you. If you want to see good statistics, without opinions, I would check http://www.census.gov. Good luck!