Mkarikar, Home Buyer in Upper Marlboro, MD

Ive lookat several homes in the low to mid 200s in clinton and upper marlboro online and notice high property tax level, why is that???

Asked by Mkarikar, Upper Marlboro, MD Wed Apr 13, 2011

Any way to see if this can be lowered before buying home?

Answers

6
The tax rate was voted this month and will NOT be increasing but will be staying the same in Prince Goeorges County. Check with your local realtor to see is theTAX ASSESSED Value for the home has lowered. This means the property taxes will be dropping by Mid July.
A lot of the homes have a much lower tax assessed Value I've seen some as large as $100,000+ lower than what it was tax assessed for in 2010.

Let me know if you need me to look up some homes 2011 tax assessed values for you.

Temi Akojie

Keller Williams Preferred Properties
Direct:301-337-7325 (REAL)
Office:240-737-5000
Fax: 240-296-5140
http://www.realhomesbytemi.com
REAL market, REAL agent, REAL results
The taxes that you see are probably inaccurate. Most of the county has been reassessed and taxes are being lowered. If you look up the property in the State Department of Taxation and Assessments (sdat) database most likely you will see the new assessed value is much lower than the previous assessed value, which will lower the taxes. Additionally, Prince Georges County offers a considerable amount of public services through Parks and Recreation and other public out reach. Maryland National Capital Parks and Planning activities in Prince Georges County are far more vast than most of the surrounding counties. The facilities are well kept, the activies and far reaching. Also, Prince Georges County has the best commutable raods in the area and the infrastruture is more accommadting to the commuter than any of the surrouding counties. Washington DC, Virginia, Baltimore or Annapolis are all easy commutes by Metro, MARC train, Amtrak, Commuter Bus or by car from Prince Georges County. I have been a resident of the county for 22 years and I have found the public services to be very acommodating to the communities. There is room for improvement in some area, however no system is ever going to make everyone happy. If so, we would all be in utopia.

Please call me or visit me on the web at emerickpeace.topseller.net

Respectfully Yours,

Emerick Peace (The Upper Marlboro and Clinton Expert)
Keller Williams Preferred Properties
240-737-5000 office
240-737-5001 direct
emerickpeace.topseller.net
Hi Mkarikar,

Tax rates vary by county and property price range. I've seen some properties with a tax value of over $400k selling in the $200k price range (usually foreclosures) so the taxes are going to be based on the previously assessed market value, not the current market value. If you buy such a property you can and should appeal the taxes shortly after settlement.
In most cases some areas are still assessed at the previous year market value. At any given time the taxes are based on the average of the last three years assessments. Therefore, until the taxes of the current year are assessed the home will be calculated and taxed at the previous two years, then averaged out. Some homes have caught up with the current market, but other has not. This can be disputed once the home is purchased. I am very familiar with the process if you would like contact me, and I can help.

Wanda Petty
202-425-4080
Keller Williams Preferred Properties
Upper Marlboro, MD
Probably still "assessed" from the county HIGH from when the market was UP........

Ariana is correct, you will have to fight it based on your purchase price.... when they lower the assessment, it should lower your yearly "property taxes", and therefore your "escrow" part of your payment (which is typically part of your total mortgage payment) should you have one.
Dear Mkarikar,

You are correct. Prince Georges County has some of the highest taxes in the state. You get more home for the asking price, but will pay higher for taxes. Once you buy a home, you will have 60 days to request for a reassessment. Since a lowered tax rate isn't guaranteed, you want to go into the purchase expecting to pay the current listed tax price. If you need anymore assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. It's my pleasure to help.

Ariana Loucas
Keller Williams
301 728-1418