General Area in Lake Placid>Question Details

Gerrie, Home Buyer in Back Bay, Boston, MA

It seems like really old people live in Lake Placid. Are there any good paying jobs for 30 year olds?

Asked by Gerrie, Back Bay, Boston, MA Sun Nov 7, 2010

NO I have grown up in this horrible place and it's just declining...if you are not one of the " good ole boys" you are up the creek without a paddle. old people come here to die peacefully, so unless you want to work in a nursing home, hospice, hospital or fast food/grocery store, there is nothing here. get out and stay out while you can! there's no hope for me! i got out but ended up coming back :/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
I doubt it depends on the type of work you do
I was seeking a decent (intelligent) job and found a lot of clickish snobbery.
Actually, they say the jobs are for the locals. I had contact with someone that after 6 years he still wasn't a "local". Boo hiss on Lake Placid. Try Avon Park- we are.
Definition of good paying depends on your lifestyle. The cost of living is much less than it is in Boston.
Sounds like Geriatric Nurse may be in high demand.

Get a copy of the local newspaper - sunday edition with Jobs classified sent to your home. Some areas have the employment classifieds on line.

Great way of learning the job market in a unfamiliar city.

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Maryland, Virgina and D.C.
Gerrie, I'm not sure what profession you are in, but we do have medical jobs, agricultural related fields, banking as well as the usual County jobs. We do have a high population of older residents because the winters here are so mild. Lake Placid is located in such a central location that you could take a job on either coast and dart back and forth. We have an easy, laid back atmosphere and a beautiful, clean little town. We are located on the "Lake Wales Ridge" which is the only part of Florida that has never been under water. Lake Placid is a little hilly and doted with beautiful sand bottom lakes - great for swimming, fishing and water sports. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. Laura Shirley, RE/MAX Realty Plus II, Lake Placid, FL