General Area in Olney>Question Details

Nschaich, Renter in Olney, IL

Is there anywhere online where I can access a list of landlords in my area?

Asked by Nschaich, Olney, IL Tue Aug 2, 2011

Answers

5
is thete anywhere online where i can access a list of landlords in my area columbus ohio
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Check with the Olney Chamber of Commerce. They have a list.
Ron Thomas- Why wouldn't I want to know all the choices? Its not like all landlords have the exact same kind of properties, let alone personality differences, or even tenant preferences. A better question is, why did you waste time asking something so ignorant instead of providing useful insight? It was a simple question of where I could obtain the information.

Don Tepper- Thank you so much for your time and consideration!! I thought that a realtor might have such information. I'll make a note of your advice- and thanks so much again!!
Sure. That's easy.

What you're looking for are what's called "absentee owners." They may own a property at 123 Main Street, Olney, Illinois, but their tax bill is mailed to 456 Maple Street, Columbia Missouri.

How do you find them? The easiest way probably is through a Realtor. It's easy to go in to the MLS (actually, the tax records linked to the MLS--in most areas) and specify absentee owners. At the same time, you an establish whatever other parameters you want--number of bedrooms, whether the property is a single-family home or townhouse, age of property, etc. In my area, the information can be downloaded in CSV format, so it can be imported directly into a database or Excel. Or it can be exported in label format. Each MLS is slightly different, so the one in your area may have more capabilities . . . or less.

If you don't want to use a Realtor, you probably can accomplish something similar--though with perhaps more work--yourself. Most jurisdictions have their tax records online. Some are in downloadable format.

If that doesn't work, there are plenty of list rental companies that'll sell that information to you.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I would think that in this format, that would be confidential information:
Why on earth would you need to know ALL of the landlords?
To sell them something that they could all use.
Flag Mon Jan 20, 2014