Robin, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Is the area of the 1500 block of Mt. Vernon St in Philadelphia safe? Also, is it an up and coming area?

Asked by Robin, Philadelphia, PA Fri Jun 1, 2007

Also, is it very difficult to find street parking in the art museum area of town?

Four years has made a lot of progress in this area. People should come check it out. A real transformation from old rentals to many owner occupied new and renovated homes
I have lived in this area for almost a year and I have rarely had a problem parking. With 2 school boardering the block there is less residences than a normal block. As far as safety is concerned, I have not seen a problem. There are occasional car break-ins, but they happen everywhere. Just be smart and not leave items of value in your car (i wont even leave a penny in site). I always run in the area and find myself coming home some nights around 2 or 3 and have never felt scared.
Within a few blocks of Broad Street! There's potential in them thar hills...
Web Reference:
As a Realtor, I have shown condos at 15th and Mt Vernon several times. It was during the day, always, and parking was never that easy. There is an old automobile storage facility on 15th & Broad St which might be turned into a parking facility, but who knows.

This area is definitely up and coming. Google the restaurant "Osteria" and you will find some tidbits on that topic. But a few blocks away is pretty worn down. But this is Philly.
If you are a home owner, not a renter, parking is easier because you can get permit parking - which means you can park in your zone and you don't have to worry about the time limit posted. For being so close to Center City, parking in the Art Museum area isn't bad. 1500 Mt. Vernon is close to CCP, so you might have to fight with some college kids for parking, but I think most of them take public trans.

TONS of development in that area. Prices have certainly gone up in all of 19130 zip. Lots of condo conversions and new construction.

Terms like "safe" really are difficult for me to comment on... Are you a city dweller? Sometimes people who haven't lived in the City have different expectations of safety than those that have lived in the City. It really depends on your comfort level. Can you park a BMW there, yes. Should you leave your wallet on the seat, no. Can you walk outside at 2am, yes. Should you be wearing lots of jewelry, probably not... But really that rule applies to every part of the City.

If you are looking to buy on that block, if you are smart about what you are buying, you'll enjoy the neighborhood.

Let me know if I can help at all. I'm always happy to talk real estate!!! No obligations.