General Area in Seattle>Question Details

Nick Schleke…, Real Estate Pro in Boise, ID

Is the Seattle Area/Market Dominated by a single brokerage or group of brokerages (in terms of market share)?

Asked by Nick Schlekeway, Boise, ID Thu Sep 19, 2013

Who are the major players in the Seattle real estate market?

Answers

7
Nick,
According to the Puget Sound Business Journal, April 22 issue linked below Windermere is the largest, John L Scott is next, ReMax, Keller Williams, then Prudential.
The dollar volume of each during the period is in the article. This seems to be historically correct to me, at least on top.
Nick,
If we knew the reason for your question, we may be able to provide a better answer. If you're looking to come to work as a Broker in this market being part of the biggest player may not matter as much as who your individual managing broker may be. I've worked for a small boutique firm and done well. The lack of company name recognition has never been an obstacle to obtaining clients.
You may be better off in a small firm as a big fish than just another fish in a huge pond.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
Thank you for your response Dan!
Flag Fri Sep 20, 2013
I would ask why you care? Dan's information below seems to be correct, but what does it really matter?

The size of individual offices, or groups of offices if owned by the same entity, would be relevant. And while there some advantage to name familiarity, that's not really all that relevant to anybody.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
I'd look at the target market that you are interested in working in and the business structure of the companies that work those markets. Want to work REOs? Want to work in the luxury market? The numbers change rather dramatically. And there are a number of small boutique offices that work the luxury market fairly exclusively.
How many franchise offices are held by a single company? If you have a lot of franchises that only own 2-3 offices, how does that effect the culture across the entire brand?
It's a pretty general question Nick.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
Great answer John, as usual.
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013
Good question Nick....Keller Williams is an easy answer. #1 franchise for agent count and now volume worldwide. Fastest growing company and the Ben Morton Group is currently looking at resumes and is hiring at the new 8000 sq ft downtown location. Windermere, Remax, Refin and Coldwell Banker Bain are the other major players In Seattle.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
As others have mentioned, Windermere is the largest real estate company, followed by John L. Scott and ReMax. However, if you break down Seattle (and nearby cities) into smaller market segments, you'll find that there is no single company that dominates all areas. Windermere is more visible in some Seattle neighborhoods, but not all neighborhoods. John L. Scott has a larger presence in Bellevue. It really depends upon what neighborhood and what city you are talking about. North Seattle is different than West Seattle, and Magnolia is different than Seward Park. Green Lake is different than Madison Park. Pick a neighborhood and you'll find different brokers will be dominant. The real answer to your question is more involved than a simple ranking of which broker sells more houses.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Hi NIck,

You received several good answers. I would encourage you, that no matter what you do, you explore Keller Williams Realty. I spent five years with a small company called The Heller Company, then nine years with Windermere, and now 15 years with Keller Williams.

Keller Williams started in the Seattle area in Bellevue in 1998 and we are already in the top five in the Greater Seattle area. The reasons are exceptional training, like no other brokerage anywhere, leading edge technology tools, an incredible team culture, and the extra benefit of profit sharing.

I am happy to talk to you any time about the opportunities at Keller Williams. You can connect with me at my web site, http://www.karenmcknight.com .

I imagine you are somewhat familiar with Keller Williams as we have a healthy presence in the Boise area.

The bottom line is that people choose to do business with the broker, not the company. Keller Williams absolutely believes that the purpose of the company is to support their agent associates with all conceivable tools to help the brokers be successful.

Good luck with your move,

Karen
There are reasons I left Keller Williams, but I don't wish to put them out in public.

What I will say though is that the firm and the designated broker is far more important than the brand name on the door.
Flag Sun Sep 22, 2013