General Area in Roanoke>Question Details

Patricia, Other/Just Looking in Broken Arrow, OK

Is it true that Roanoke has a high crime rate and serious gang problems?

Asked by Patricia, Broken Arrow, OK Tue Sep 4, 2012

Answers

7
We've lived here three years, having moved from the Charlotte NC area. There is minor gang issues as well as crime. It was a relief to be able to send my son to school without having to be patted down daily to attend classes, have his classes interrupted by gang activity and unruly classmates. We were told the city public schools were horrible. Trust me after our NC experience they are top notch. Our experience living here has been that it is very safe.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2012
"high crime rate" is subjective. I lived in Atlanta for some years and every morning started with news reports of drive-by's, drug busts, child abuse, apartment fires, and police corruption....and we were all used to it. I live on Hilton Head Island now, and there's been hysterical talk here about our "crime wave"...several cars which the owners left unlocked had their GPS units, cell phones, laptops stolen. Subjective.
I've found that the website http://www.city-data.com is a great resource for all pertinent information. They have all crime statistics, school info, tax info, demographics, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
ya'll crazy man there are gangs that people from new york and other majior cities come down and join or start ive seen it ya'll probley live in some high standers neighborhood or sumthin but go over lansedown an villa heights lincon terrace or cherry hill and all that it goes on ya'll just havnt met the rgiht people it's safe but ive seen crazy things of course they wouldnt put it on the news to scare old white people and ms13 worldwide most dangerous gang in roanoke it's safe but like we all say everything kept secret
I have a friend who is a police officer for the city, he says the crime rates not bad. The so call gangs, he tells me are just wannabe types. You are safe in Roanoke I go up there a lot, for concerts at the civic centre or at other places, we are downtown at night no problem! I feel very safe.
Thanks to everyone who responded. Getting info from a police officer is great.
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013
In the city possibly but in the county you are safe. Salem and Botetourt are also safe areas!
Bad information. We do have some "gang wanna bees" but they are a joke. Call the Roanoke City or Roanoke County police force for good information. I travel all areas of this market day and night with no problems. Of course I wear flack jackets, carry machine guns, and have body guards but other than that I'm fine. You're safe to move to this area and when you do you need an experienced broker like me to help you with your new purchase.
I've lived in Roanoke and the surrounding areas, myself, for 29 years and haven't been aware of a high crime rate or any serious gang problems. If you would like to do some further research, there are many sites available for crime statistics. You can google "crime rates" and put the area you're investigating and that may help.

Unfortunately, today, crime is in every area, but in general if you don't put yourself in situations that may be dangerous, your chances of being a victim are greatly decreased. That's true in any area. Stay safe and stay our of situations that could induce danger.
Thanks for the reply, but somebody ought to check on the Wikipedia entry for your city, because it makes the place sound like one of the worst cities in VA for crime.
Flag Wed Sep 5, 2012