Opuni, Home Buyer in Jackson Heights, Que...

Is it a good investment to buy a coop close to the 74th Street station in Jackson heights.?

Asked by Opuni, Jackson Heights, Queens, NY Wed Oct 7, 2009

Is it a good investment to buy a coop close to the 74th Street station in Jackson heights. My girlfriend is considering getting a coop here since she has been priced out of some coops in Brooklyn and a few off of 82nd street (Jackson Heights).

Answers

3
Hello Opuni. It's always a good idea to buy property. Specific location is a high priority for pretty much all buyers for various reasons. Proximity to the Roosevelt ave subway stop can be a major deciding factor and is a tangible aspect of purchasing.

The concept of a Coop as an investment is less reasonable. If you mean that now is probably the best time to buy for a multitude of reasons including appreciation then I say yes, it's a good investmentand should be held for years. If you mean a good investment to rent then I would disagree as Coops are not the best investment vehicles in that regard.

In Jackson Heights there are many Coop buildings. I wish you all the best in your search. I'm sure you'll find something special.
I have a coop studio available and am open to hearing offers if you are still interested. http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/reo/1546839862.html
It is on the 8th floor and is facing the back of the bldg. You cannot beat the convenience of the train station with the E, F, R, V and 7 trains and the bus terminal a few steps away. Aside from the food vendors, there are a plenty of great restaurants, supermarkets, and shops. This is a great location for young professionals and couples starting their families. You get A LOT more for your money in Jackson Heights.
Depends on where exactly the coop is! Unfortunately the area is going a little down hill, especially since Eric Gioia (D) allowed new licenses for street vendors - now the place is over run by kebab stands and halal meat vendors - that's not too bad during the day - but at night between the deliveries of off the truck meat, the amount of street garbage and the noise is not what I'd call ideal! If she's going ahead with buying - ensure that the co-op is in the back of the building (if she buys in the front of the building on the top floor or the 1st floor - the noise will be the same - back is better!) , off any main road/street. I used to love Jackson Heights - but the noise pollution has become too intense - that's my 2 cents - good luck with the search!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2009