General Area in San Diego>Question Details

Jess draper, Renter in Oak Ridge, Springfield...

Is a contractor's license required for basic remodeling?

Asked by Jess draper, Oak Ridge, Springfield, IL Mon Oct 21, 2013

Answers

3
Not if you are doing the work yourself. However you may still need permits for the work depending on what it is.

Any work for hire that cost more than $750 (I think) in materials and labor must be performed by a licensed tradesman.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
So if I'm putting in new kitchen cabinets and tiling the floor myself I don't need a license?
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013
It is not necessary to have a license but it may be good to have someone who knows what they are doing in case you need to get permits from zoning. If you don't have a licensed person do it, they can't be liable.
Hi Jess,

No, not necessarily. As Royce mentioned, you may need permits and if they are required inspectors will come to check the work. Hence, the work needs to be up to code...IF permits are required.

Please let us know if you have any other questions as we work with many contractors and have done some remodeling ourselves.

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
National Association of Realtors
CA BRE License 01713506
I have re-modeled & flipped about 17 houses in Atlanta area but I don't have the money now. Do you know of an investor that will let me re-model a house and live in it for 1 year with reduced rent? I can provide references and before/after listings.
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013