General Area in West End>Question Details

Chip, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

Is West End Atlanta a safe place and is it a good investment?

Asked by Chip, Atlanta, GA Fri Jul 27, 2007

Answers

12
The West End is an awesome place to live. People are just hyper- paranoid about safety. Yes, crime does happen here I am sure. Some streets are quieter than others and some safer than others. We have not experienced burglaries. Nobody goes out of their way to harass you. People are generally nice. At least they acknowledge your existence when you are out and about. Generally people in cars can be very rude and selfish. Maybe people tell you it’s not safe because it's a majority Black area. I am African and My Fiancé is White. West End welcomes every one. There are definitely people from different nationalities here. I love this place. I have lived in greater Atlanta for more than 20 years. This place is a lot friendlier than East Cobb, Buck Head and all those other ritzy and supposedly safe neighborhoods. There are beautiful city parks in every direction in the West End. This place is what you make it. West End Is a Convenient place to live, it’s only 2 to 5 minutes to downtown Atlanta. We have post office down the block, Marta Train, grocery store, the Belt Line Trail, is down the street from me. Everything is accessible by foot, bicycle or short distance drive everywhere. People actually use the side walks here. The sun sets are nice and the architecture here is amazing. There are community gardens and so forth. The homes here date from the 1918's, 20's and so forth. I live in the Historic West End and I love it here. this place is what you make it. Good luck
Chip - You should contact Jen Bowman with Success Realty - here is her website page for more info:

http://activerain.com/jenbowman or http://jenbowman.point2agent.com/

best of luck and happy holidays,

Randall Sandin, 843-209-9667, rsandin@carolinaone.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Chip:
Like any other area, anywhere in the nation, I would suggest you contact the law enforcement agency in that particular area to get a real picture of the crime-rate, and then you, and only you, will be able to determine if it's "safe" for your particular situation.

Is it a "good investment". To answer this question you need to look at some historical statistics. If you have a Realtor he/she will be able to provide you with the data necessary for you to determine if it's an area where you feel comfortable in making an investment. Hope this helps you somewhat, but really there's no standard answer for your questions, and will require some homework on your part and that of your Realtor. - Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 27, 2007
I personally know 5 families that have moved to the West End in the past 2 years, lots of change going on and housing is still the best price for the home in Atlanta. If you are looking to buy a historic home you cannot do better than the West End!
Theres alot happening in the west end now. Young families, yuppies, white, black, people of all races. Come and see the great things happening in our cute little community, history lives here!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
My father recently moved into this area, the Historic West End, and my wife and I recently visited. The street he lives on (near the middle school) is quiet and peaceful during the day and during the evening. We love it.! We would live there. There are other streets that aren't as tranquil.

The best way to answer your question is, it depends on the street and what you're comfortable with. There are some excellent deals in the West End which would likely also be the areas that would be generally considered safest. And these would be your best investments.

So find what you feel like is the BEST street in the West End and buy the lowest price house needing the least expensive renovations and you've got yourself a deal.

As with most neighborhoods in large cities, it's always a good idea to practice general safety precautions. Lock your doors, keep valuables from being overly exposed, get to know your neighbors and look out for each other. If you're worried about your neighbors that's a good indication you may not want to buy the house right next to them. Just be practical of course.
We just moved right around the corner in June 2012 and we absolutely LOVE it here! Its safe, the neighbors are nice and we love our beautiful renovated home. Its atlantas best kept secret right now. Once we get a cute trendy restaurant in here the west end will be in good business!
Flag Sat Dec 29, 2012
Chip-

I am an investor and licensed agent in the Atlanta area as well. I have for sale and manage renovated rental property occupied with tenants that pay on time located in the West End and near Fort McPherson (which will be closed and redeveloped in 2011) listed at the web reference below. I can also give you a good tour of the West End and other areas that will give you a nice return on rental properties.

Despite the bad reputation this area has in some circles, there are still a lot of owner-occupants in these neighborhoods who are vigilant about improving their quality of life and eliminating the crime that is popping up all over Atlanta.

Jeff Baillis
Summit Realty Services, LLC
404-556-4139
jbaillis@bellsouth.net
Web Reference: http://www.ATLRent2Own.com
Personally, I don't think it is a safe area. Is it a good investment? Are you looking to buy and rent? If so, there are better areas. Are you looking to buy? Well, how important is your personal safety? I would be more than happy to spend a day driving through there, as well as some other neighborhoods, and you can be the judge. Would I live there? No.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Hi Chip,
Wait another year, save another 20%. Good Luck
Chip,

Are you still "just looking?"

Could be.

I'll give you a thorough tour of the West End, Westview, Adiar Park, Oakland City and other nearby neighborhoods if you are still looking.

There's some good, some bad, and some ugly, but if I'm answering your 2 questions directly, then I'll say yes, it's a safe place and yes it's a good investment.

Regardless, safety and investment criteria are in the eyes of Chip, not Lee Taylor.

If you did not get your real estate on a year ago, then get your real estate on.
Hi Chip!
As in any area you need to do the homework insofar as what type of investment you are looking into. If you are looking for a home - that's easy! West End would be great.

If however, you are looking at rental - you need to look a the pitfalls and what the ROI will be (not to mention the headaches that surely come from being a landlord).

If you could be more specific in your next question: You could get better advice!
I think Steve answer is about the best you'll get. Safe and "good" are very relative. I grew up in an area in south Atlanta that my friends thought was the "ghetto" but we felt safe and our seemed like a great investment after all the years of living there.

Check local statistics as Steve suggests, drive the area you want to live in, find out what's there. If you feel comfortable there then great.

As far as an investment, most areas of Atlanta are appreciating so -- to a degree -- any home purchase is a good investment. Likewise, any home purchase can be made into a disaster by choosing the wrong home and getting the wrong financing.
Web Reference: http://www.jrjarvis.com
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA