General Area in Sunnyslope>Question Details

Jennifer, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

Is Sunnyslope a bad neighborhood to buy in?

Asked by Jennifer, Phoenix, AZ Tue Jul 10, 2007

Answers

12
Jennifer,
When buyihng a home in Arizona it is best to refer to the BUYER'S ADVISORY form. It is packed with information for you as the consumer to check out all aspects of home buying.

Here is a link to the advisory: http://www.aaronline.com/documents/buy_advis.pdf

You can also find a lot of useful information on my website under the BUYER tab.
Web Reference: http://www.DonaldKeys.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2007
Jennifer,
I hope to lessen some of the concerns that you may have regarding any area. "Bad neighborhood" is a subjective term. There are many things to consider when looking for a home. I always tell my clients to drive around to get a feel for the area in which they want to purchase. Only you can know where you are comfortable and feel safe. There are many revitalization areas going on arouond the valley, and Sunnyslope is one of them. Let me share a quick personal story. Eight years ago, I fell in love with a cute little, plain ranch style house on the wrong side of 15th aveune and McDowell. I bought that little house and have never looked back! Lots of people chuckled because I saw something that they didn't. Now I live in one of the most desired neighborhoods in all of downtown Phoenix. The median house in my "hood" (and I use the term "hood" in jest) goes for 325K.

Don't let anyone convince you where you may feel at home! Great question. Thank you for asking. If you would like me to show you around neighborhood and area, I would love to. There is always 2 sides of the story. I could show you the benefits of buying in a "revitalization" area. I sincerely believe that then you are not only a home owner, but a active participant in "Building Your Community."
Kind Regards,
Nancy
Web Reference: http://www.searchhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2007
I live in sunnslope, right at the end of central in a charming very eclectic one of a kind home. I LOVE it here. i am surrounded by mountains and it is quiet and a lotta good restaurants close by and cute wine bar that is pet friendly. If you like to hike it is right there in your front yard a few steps away, plus a lot of new trendy hip places have been opening up that stay open late....I would say move here!!!
What is good and what is bad? If you like an ecectic mix, Sunnyslope would be enchanting. I don't know of another part of Phoenix that has its diversity. From dingy multi-family dwellings to spectaular archetecutal achievements... it's all there.

Sunnyslope High School out performs most schools in the State. Here is a link to greatschools.net where you can read more about this highly rated school... http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/browse_school/az/1238

Our office is very close to Sunnyslope and we've shown many people homes in the area. Some love it for its uniqueness and others don't. The real answer to that question lies within you and your preferences.
If you like brand new stucco houses that all look the same, an hour away from downtown, then you won't want to live in Sunnyslope. If you like unique houses with no HOA and mountain communities, close to nearly everything in Phoenix, then you'll probably like like Sunnyslope.
I'm not a real estate agent - I live in Sunnyslope and we are not a "low income" family. I walk out onto the Phoenix Mountain Preserve and hike every morning. I have gorgeous views of downtown Phoenix, the Cardinals stadium and South Mountain. Every weekend I go mountain biking on North Mountain...the trails start 2 blocks from my house. My house is older, built solid as a rock, and we've updated it so that it's really nice.
There are awesome restaurants and a fabulous wine bar. The hospital is real close in case of emergencies and I drive 12 minutes to work in Downtown Phoenix, and if I want to go to Scottsdale it's 15 minutes away, the Cardinals Stadium is about 20 minutes away.
We love living here - there are people of all income ranges and ethnicity.
Sunnyslope is a transitional neighborhood. There are older run down homes in certain areas and there are beautiful new luxury million dollar plus homes. It's good and bad for different reasons. I would say there are 3 areas of Sunnyslope: West, Central, East. Each is different and needs to be investigated. The Central part surrounding Central Ave. has seen the most development in recent years with a growing selection of wine bars, restaurants and independent coffee shops plus a variety of homes. Many current owners are transforming older homes into some very interesting hip houses. Drive it and you'll see. I like Sunnyslope because it's eclectic and interesting. No cookie cutter homes here plus there it can only way for it to go. Consider how close it is to downtown and the population trends which are drawing more people to urban areas then Sunnyslope is ripe being a classic Phoenix bird.
Sunnylope has had some very good press over the last year. It's definitely a neighborhood on the rise. The location is extremely convenient with great access to the 51. The schools in the area are also highly rated. I can't speak to what's important to you and my number one suggestions would be talk to your potential neighbors and ask them. FInd that area you're considering and simply ask. If you want to get a feel for an area, the diversity and the people; then go to the local supermarket at different times of the day. Sometimes this will give you more information than you can read or research. I would expect many areas of Phoenix "infill" to continue to improve over the years as perimeter living and the commutes drive people and families back into the Central core of our communities. Gas isn't getting any cheaper and drive times aren't getting any shorter.
Good or bad is a personal perception and or opinion, and as REALTORS® we are not allowed to make remarks about he the neighborhoods. Fair housing is at play.

It is up to you to research crime statistics and to find out if you like the area. I would hope agents are more careful when answering such questions. Good luck in finding the right area.
I grew up on the verge of Sunnyslope on the side of a mountain with fantastic views. My parents still live there and have no problem at all. There is a great gated community north of Dunlap on Central Ave. Older custom homes around Dunlap to Northern, 7th Ave to Central is also another place to look. Just email me if you have any questions. I just moved to Raleigh, NC a few months ago but can hook you up with a fantastic agent in Phoenix. Good luck in your search!
Hi Jennefer,
I personally would stay away from Sunnyslope... the area seems to be primarily low income. Don't buy there, look around, try out west, you get more for your money..and a better neighborhood
Jennifer,
I personally lived near 19th Ave & Dunlap for 4 years. I loved the neighborhood. For a community without an HOA, homeowners take exceptional care of their properties. Even though I moved away 12 years ago, I still have clients that I work with from that area, and I enjoy revisiting the neighborhood and seeing how well cared for things continue to be.

The advice above is very sound. You should definitely drive the neighborhood to get a sense, and maybe one morning (before it's too, too hot), walk a stretch where you find a home you have some interest in. Do the families you encounter make this neighborhood home?

Also, if you are concerned about a neighborhood, then check into the crime statistics. The buyer's advisory has excellent links that take you right to where you can find that type of information.

Steve Belt, GRI
Dear Jennifer,
There are lots of areas in the Phoenix area to live in. I would like to get more information of the type of home you are looking for, the price range, number of bedrooms, number of bathrroms, square footage of the house, etc.
After I get some basic information, I would be glad to supply you with many homes that meet your search criteria.
I am an experienced Realtor and also am a senior loan officer. This means that I can also be sure that you get the best financing available on your home purchase.
I will be glad to help you find and finance your home.
Also, please feel free to visit my website at vip.scottsonken.com for lots of helpful free information.

Scott Sonken, ABR, CBR, SRES, GRI, E-Pro, CPA, Senior Loan Officer
Keller Williams Realty Professional Partners
14239 W. Bell Road #101
Surprise, AZ 85374
623-297-5000
Web Reference: http://vip.scottsonken.com