General Area in San Ramon>Question Details

Cathy, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

Is Shapell the only builder allowed to build in Gale Ranch?

Asked by Cathy, Sunnyvale, CA Sat Jun 9, 2012

I notice in Windermere, there are many builders but only Shapell in Gale Ranch. Also does anyone know if Shapell is building anymore after Ariana? I notice on their website, Ariana is coming soon in Gale Ranch. There is so much open space there & plenty of open space between Gale Ranch & "Old San Ramon." Does anyone know if they plan to have more communities? Thanks!

Answers

5
Vickie Nagy’s answer
Hello Cathy,

You asked "Are they half way or almost done or 3/4 done??"

To get a more definitive answer, you might try asking a Shapell employee. Perhaps you might even consider stopping in the Astoria sales center?

Shapell is not a public company, and they build to demand. They slow building releases when demand is slow and release more rapidly when demand is high. As far as duration, you will find that the early Gale Ranch homes were built in the mid-1990's. Say 16-17 years ago. I don't think there is 16-17 years of land left to build on. The school district is so very, very sought after that demand is (I believe) stronger than it was in the 1990's. One thing that Shapell is doing to stretch it out as long as possible is making the parcel sizes (lots) smaller and smaller. In the model center they have phase maps that show the planned developments and they show anticipated parcel sizes for the new development.

In case you haven't guessed, I have represented several new home buyers in Gale Ranch. I have some copies of phase maps I was provided at the sales center. But, as always, plans are subject to change. So if you want to stay on top of it, check in with the builder from time to time.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie
Hello Cathy,

Shapell purchased the ranch from Judge Gale. Thus they own all the land. Selling a finished home on a parcel is more profitable than selling unimproved land. And, after all, Shapell is a builder. I see zero chance that Shapell would sell land to any other builders.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy, CA DRE#01363932
Cathy,

Shapell is the only builder in Gayle Ranch.....they own the open land and will continue to develop for years to come as the housing demand continues. For City of San Ramon general plan, please visit the city website or the link below:

http://www.sanramon.ca.gov/gprc/gprcindex.htm

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Steve M.
Hi Cathy,

To answer your question, Shapell is the only builder slated to develop the Gale Ranch area to my knowledge. They are building more communities....are you looking for something in particular? I live in San Ramon and am in Gale Ranch regularly and can gather more informaiton for you. Just let me know.

Mona
Thank you for answering my question but I also wanted to know if anyone knows how much more building is to come from Shapell in Gale Ranch? Are they half way or almost done or 3/4 done??