General Area in Schaumburg>Question Details

Ben, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

Is Schaumburg, IL gay friendly or accepting? Not "boystown friendly", just overall accepting and welcoming.

Asked by Ben, Phoenix, AZ Sat Dec 31, 2011

Answers

7
I suggest to clients that once they have found a home or two they want to purchase - to ring some doorbells and meet the neighbors in the area, to get a sense of the area, and answers to other questions that may not be self-evident. Every area is different, and generalizing probably isn't a good idea. If you happen to have bad luck and some neighbors turn out to be bigoted - life can be very tough. So - best to find out first hand by meet and greet - after you have ID'ed your favorite properties.
Ben,

Since this is so important to you, you will need to visit the area and talk to some local residents that you would trust with the answers you need. We as real estate agents are not legally allowed to comment on this type of question as Anna said below. You will get a good sense of what the comfort level you will have by your visit and conversing with those who live there. All the best to you and your family.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 31, 2011
I think some people may have misunderstood my question. My husband and I are a gay couple and are in the process of moving to Chicago area. We have two kids, 7 and 12. We want to move to a gay friendly/accepting place. We are tired of the bigotry in AZ.
I think the gay population represents about 1% of the total population. So what is the big deal. Just does not matter. Unless you are Cardinal George whom was not happy about gay parade in Lakeview (Chicago) disrupting church service, so the group responded and changed the time of the parade to avoid the conflict.

It has been in the news in Chicago. Go where you want.
Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods...
I, like Sharon, have had gay clients in the area and have lived in Schaumburg since 1978. In addition to that, I have had 4 daughters go through the Schaumburg school system. Never once do I recall any issues with the gay population whatsoever.
Needless to say, if you need any help or additional info, please contact me at your earliest convenience at

Tony@TonySaviano.com Or

If you would prefer, you can call me at 847-902-7199.
Web Reference: http://www.tonyexpert.com/
Are you thinking of moving to Schaumburg?
I have lived and worked selling real estate for 30 years in Schaumburg and I have gay and straight clients who are all wonderful. I think that there is a welcoming acceptance of all people in a suburb as nice as Schaumburg. Please let me know if you need help finding a place or have any questions!
shschaumburg@aol.com