General Area in Raleigh>Question Details

Annie, Home Owner in North Carolina

Is Radon a big problem in North Raleigh 27614? My house has basement, should I do the test?

Asked by Annie, North Carolina Tue Feb 26, 2013

Answers

16
Buy a kit at your local Home Depot.
Place test kit in least ventilated room in house.
DO NOT PLACE ON GRANITE surface.
If the Radon measured is near lowest limit, consider an offical testing service and remediation.
I have not had a radon check at my house. I do not have a basement. My home is a slab
house. (2 levels) upstairs has one bedroom, 1 full bath, and bonus room. If radon needs
to be checked who would be reliable to check for radon? Thank you.
Below is a link to a guide provided by the EPA that will give you a lot of information on Radon, including how to test as well as remediation measures. Hopefully it will be able to address some of your questions.
Margaret Moore, CRS, SFR
Triangle Coast Realty
Is NC an attorney state?
If it is, during attorney review this can be hashed out in atty correspondence.
Yes
Radon is right after 2nd hand smoke as a cause of lung cancer. Especially if you plan to convert to living space and it becomes a bachelor pad for a teenager. In IL it is typical for buyer paying for test and if higher than 4 pc, the seller pays, to have a system installed and a retest after the work is completed. Test runs a couple hundred, remediation is $1200. Figure that once the seller knows they have elevated radon they should disclose it and the next buyer will run into the same concern. If a short sale youre paying for the system, or maybe go 50/50 if the seller is obstinate and you really want the house.

If you like my answer, best answer and thumbs up me, thx!
Lots of good answers here and can't disagree with any. In the 19 years I've been selling homes, only had two with positive radon testing and both were in lower part of N Raleigh. One had a basement and the other was a crawl space where all the vents had been kept shut. The basement home had to have a mitigation system installed which was not cheap and that was 10 years ago. The home with the crawlspace was resolved by opening the vents and another test two weeks later came back negative.
Most basements in this area are walk out where you can open a door of some kind. Do you have one of these where you can circulate fresh air or do you have the rare type where the basement was actually dug? In either case, I would have the test done, but again, you may be able to remedy any radon easier with a walk out basement .
Annie,

The short answer is yes, you should do the test. Radon is prevalent in North Raleigh and is more likely in a basement home. I recommend radon tests to all my buyer clients. In almost 17 years, I've never had a "bad" radon test but I do know plenty of agents who have and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I, personally, would never buy a home without having a radon test.

Hope that helps. If there is anything further I can do to help, please let me know.

Karen Johnson, GRI, CRS, SRES, CDPE, SFR
Everyone should know their radon number. Radon can be mitigated and there are things a homeowner can do on their own to reduce radon in their home. If your basement is a finished living area, you should set up the test there. I have a section on radon and healthy homes on my website, movetoraleighdurham.com.
Remember everyone, Radon is a natural occuance out of granite. NE Raleigh, Wake Forest and Rolesville NC has the second largest granite deposit in the US. It covers several hundrend sq miles.

Having a home tested every few years is not a problem and a good idea.

Keeping air moving throughout a home, crawl space or basement helps more than people realize.

Sealed up homes or may lead to problems.
Any home that is built on a slab or that has a basement should be checked for Radon. It's all around us and comes up from the ground. The only remediation is ventilation which is why I don't feel as strongly about homes on crawlspaces (unless their sealed crawlspaces), but basement and slab homes should be inspected.
There is apparently some type of fault that runs along the eastern side of Raleigh up to or near Wake Forest. In some neighborhoods I have worked I have seen air vents coming from crawl spaces and basements designed for radon mitigation. Homeowners confirmed it.

I always recommend a radon test when buying or selling a home. If you are concerned it's better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.
The county health department will send you a free test kit.

I also have a basement and live outsideand Rolesville
NC. They send a kit every two.years.

Or just buy one. Keeping air moving through your basement is important

Hi Tom, can you please advise me their website and how to contact them & have them send the free test kit. Thanks very much.
Flag Tue Feb 26, 2013
Annie,

Usually Radon is more common in a hilly or mountainous area. However if you have a finished basement then yes I would recommend a radon test. 4.0 pc is the government allowable level. To show you that the closer you are to the coast the less and less radon is evident is shown on the EPA map. If you follow the link it will show you the EPA map for radon areas: http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/zonemapcolor.pdf

Hope this helps,
Annie, I always recommend radon test for any basement home. Our area does have pockets of radon. And it can be easily mediated.
Hi Annie,

Regardless of whether or not radon is a big problem in a certain area is of less importance when buying a home and having all of the recommended inspections done before the closing....you never know!

Play it safe....

Radon can be elevated anywhere in N Raleigh. It is a spotty problem.
So, you may have an elevated reading while your neighbor may test out low.
And, it is more common in basement homes.

If you are uneasy about it, have it tested. The test is not terribly expensive, $100--$150.
.
.