General Area in Phoenixville>Question Details

David, Home Buyer in Pennsylvania

Is Phoenixville PA a nice place to live? is the commute on 422 really bad? will prices decline further?

Asked by David, Pennsylvania Mon Oct 22, 2007

Phoenixville is really living up to its name. This once burnt out, dying town has, in a relatively short period of time, risen from its ashes transformed into a vibrant, diverse community. It offers everything from the big box stores in the strip centers to the boutique shops and restaurants along Bridge St.. Community and neighborhood parks dot the town and various events happen throughout the year. With the river and canal running along the town and Valley Forge Park nearby, there really is something for everyone. Phoenixville is definitely a great place to live.

As for the commute, it will depend upon which part of Phoenixville you live in whether you will use 422 to get to work. If you locate closer to Collegeville or Oaks the best bet will be to take the highway. If you are more east of town you may choose to follow Rt.23 through Valley Forge. No matter which way you go, if you're traveling during rush hour you should expect rush hour traffic. But that's anywhere.

Althoughwe don't have a crystal ball to tell us what will happen in this market we can look at the factors that will affect prices. Phoenixville did not experience an overly dramatic upswing in prices over the last few years. It sits in a prime location adjacent or close to major employment areas at a time when gas costs almost $3/ gallon. Couple that with the towns renaissance and you have a formula for greater price stability, even in todays market. As a matter of fact, the average sold price for houses between $100,000 and $350,000 actually rose $8,000 from Sept. to Oct.. It's taking about a month longer to sell them but this is definitely not one of the doom and gloom areas you hear about in the media.

If you would like to find out more about the area or start looking at homes for yourself, please give us a call or email. We will be happy to help you and we'll take it at your pace.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 25, 2007
Phoenixville is a great place to live. If you enjoy the outdoors, the area is great for hiking, walking, cycling and horse riding. The main street of Phoenixville is very vibey-great restaurants, and wonderful music on certain Friday nights in the summer. There is something for everyone in Phoenixville, including the Phoenixville Country Club which was rated one of the top six nine hole golf courses in the World and the Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA if you are in to fitness . The YMCA offers great facilities and wonderful programs -especially for children and seniors. Property prices are on the increase-You don't really need to use the 422-You can get to most places on the Schuylkill Express and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Phoenixville is making a comeback. There are a lot of nice restaurants along bridge street plus a pretty active night life. The areas that are not in Phoenixville but fall under a Phoenixville mailing address are very established and well kept as well.
It all depends on when you use it most. Of course rush hour is heavy on your major highways and 422 is no exception to that. However, there are alternate routes that are worth looking into depending on with direction your traveling to and from. If you where comning from Pottstown, you may want to think about 724 instead. If you are interested in looking into other options you can reach me at or 610-933-8600 etx 22.
Check out some neighboring areas to Phoenixville, too..such as Birchrunville.....
I was born and raised in the Phoenixville area and have seen many many changes over the years. It really is a nice place to live as are the surrounding areas - there are many years of strong family roots. As for the 422 commute it truly does depend on what direction you will be traveling in and at what particular times such as the rush hours 7 to 9am or 4 to 6pm if heading into the King of Prussia area. If on the other hand you are heading into the Pottstown Reading areas the commute will be significantly differrent with much less traffic. Hope this information helps.
If you would like more information on Phoenixville or any areas surrounding Phoenixville please feel free to get in touch with me.
Web Reference:
I personally live and focus a great deal of my business in the Phoenixville area. My family and I could not be happier with our decision to move here. It is a great town with a life an atmosphere that is unmatched by other towns in the in the region. I would tell you that Rt. 422 really depends on where you are going and when you leave. Very often I find it much easier and faster to simply shoot down Rt 23 right thru Valley Forge Park.

A great place to learn more about the goings on in town would be

If I cna be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Michael Richter
Keller Williams Real Estate
Office: 215-646-2900x6069
Web Reference:
If rail service between Philadelphia and Reading via Norristown was restored, the issue of rush hour traffic would be moot. Until the government stops pouring money into it's highways while insisting on public transportation as the forgotten step child, rush hour traffic is what you get for America's fascination with the automobile and desire to live in the suburbs and exurbs.
We moved from CA to PA two years ago and couldn't find a better place. Phoenixville is a contender in the Best Place to Live in 2007.…
You'll need to determine for yourself whether the area's amenities meet your needs. For instance, downtown Phoenixville is revitalizing itself into a pedestrian-friendly shopping & dining district. With regards to the commute on 422, the greater philadelphia area is notorious for its outdated road infrastructure and, if you're a 9-to-5'er, rush hour is a fact of life. With regards to price, the area is stable with a neutral market (Buyers=Sellers) and your chance for a deal depends greatly on your professional representation and their ability to advise you properly during negotiations.

I personally have friends, family and clients that live and work in Phoenixville. As far as the commute on 422 I would recommend that you try it. Your definition of "really bad" may be different than mine. Also there are a lot of people that make that commute everyday. As far as sale prices in Phoenixville. The average sale price is actually up. The average sale price in 2006 was 212,404. The average sale price year to date is $215,301 according to Trend MLS. Please feel free to call me at 610-994-1147 and I would be more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have or to show you some homes currently on the market.

Gregory S. Parker, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Realty Professionals
2924 Swede Road
East Norriton, PA 19401
Phone: 610-277-5000 Ext. 249
Fax: 610-277-1556