General Area in Alexandria>Question Details

Mwc20mel, Home Buyer in Alexandria, VA

Is Hollin Hills an area that will continue to appreciate? It seems like it's not going to appreciate any more...

Asked by Mwc20mel, Alexandria, VA Mon Apr 30, 2012

We are looking at houses right now in Hollin Hills and we are wondering if 1) the area is safe, 2) the schools are good and 3) if homes will continue to appreciate. We looked at several homes this weekend, but it seems like these houses have hit their maximum value and people are currently overpaying.

Answers

6
Dear Mwc20Mel,

Hollin Hills is my home. It is an amazing neighborhood filled with wonderful residents, but like all neighborhoods safety is only as safe as the people who pass through. My family has never had any issues living there and I love how quiet it is.
Schools can always be checked out on the county web-site. A lot depends on what your child needs as to what would be the best fit for them. Though I love Hollin Meadows, if I had a child who was a musical prodigy, considering a school that provides a performing arts focus would be perhaps the best fit.

As far as continuing to appreciate, our neighborhood is going before the Department of Historic Resources will be holding a hearing this summer. We are seeking approval of Hollin Hills as an historic neighborhood. This is very exciting because of many things like tax breaks for renovations and restorations.

Every house in Hollin Hills is unique. Try to see as many of them as possible when they are for sale or on the Semi-Annual Home and Garden Tour. Home value in Hollin Hills is very specific to size, updates, location and floor plan.

Lori M. Connelly-De Franco
REALTOR
Keller Williams Realty Alexandria Old town
twenty20twenty.kwrealty.com
1) Hollin Hills is extremely safe . . . but then again it's very difficult to find a "dangerous" area in Northern Virginia, especially in Fairfax County.

2) You may want to check the web reference below. We provide detailed school data on all area schools. You'll also find detail information about other neighborhoods around Fort Hunt on the same site.

3) Without specifics it's hard to confirm or deny your suspicions about values. But I do feel confident that Fort Hunt / Mt. Vernon / Hollin Hills will continue to remain desirable.
Yes it will continue to appraise.
Hollin Hills is a fabulous neighborhood and residents who appreciate the Charles Goodman design have long been willing to pay a premium for the privilege of living in a well designed house that relates beautifully with the environment. However, because of the age of the development, the level of restoration/renovation and maintenance can be important issues in negotiating a fair buying price. For example, Mr. Goodman did a great job of planning the vistas visible from the many large windows in his houses...but energy efficiency or thoughts of ever needing replacement windows was not a major concern.

I just sold a Goodman-designed coop-townhouse in Southwest Washington, DC and really appreciate the thoughtful, well designed interiors. If you are in the market for a contemporary house in the region, kindly get in touch.

Deborah Hrouda
Long & Foster
deborah.hrouda@LNF.com
Dear Mwc20mel,

If we could predict the future increase in real estate values we would be investors not Realtors. What you are asking is impossible to answer be for the Hollin Hills area or any other. With that said, the more desirable the area, the higher possibility for increase in value; that hold true for most of Alexandria, or any other area close to, or easy to get to DC. Metro proximity is also a valuable asset that could influence the perceived value of a home, as well as school district. Easy and convenient accesses to highways, military bases, shopping, etc are also great assets for a home / neighborhood and could improve appreciation. A home is worth what a buyer is eager to pay for it…..

Hollin Hills is a very special and unique neighborhood from the architectural point of view; the perfect place is you are a mid century modern aficionado and/or mid century furniture collector! Hopefully you joined the community this past week-end for their 2012 House & Garden Tour.

This is the link to the Fairfax county site which can answer your questions about schools, crime, etc. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov

If you visited multiple properties this past week-end that were not part of the Hollin Hills Home & Garden Tour I imagine that you are already working with a Realtor; if not and you wish to talk more about the process of buying a home & the history of sales in Hollin Hills (good indicator of the future) fell free to contact me.

Maridol Garcia-Joy, Realtor
Long & Foster Real Estates
703-655-0777
maridol@LNF.com
Hollin Hills is a fabulous neighborhood and is heavily targeted by saavy home buyers who understand the architecture. I know the neighborhood very well and live roughly 2 miles away in Riverside Gardens. Hollin Hills feeds into Hollin Meadows Elementary School which offers an excellent tech/science focus. It is a fantastic area. I would be happy to discuss the neighborhood at length and provide you with detailed information regarding resale values and appreciation as a general rule in this very special corrridor of Alexandria South. Contact me anytime! :)