General Area in Haymarket>Question Details

Pharmgal03, Home Buyer in Haymarket, VA

Is Haymarket, VA a good place to live?

Asked by Pharmgal03, Haymarket, VA Thu Jul 1, 2010

My husband is considering a job offer in Fairfax, VA. We have two young children, the oldest will start school in 2 years. We are looking at the Haymarket area and would love any advice. How long would his commute be, are the schools good, are people friendly and welcoming? We are hoping to stay between $250-350K for our home.

Answers

13
Dianne Lemanski’s answer
I have lived in Haymarket since 2000 and my 4th and 7th graders attend the public schools. I grew up in the DC area, and my husband and I chose Haymarket (we moved from MD) after we got married. I think that speaks for itself.
Haymarket is a wonderful area to live especially for families and if you have an active lifestyle. There are many communities that have wonderful amenities, from trails, golfing, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts and tot lots. Haymarket is not too far from DC either. Depending on the time of day it can take as little as 45 minutes to get there.

Homes in the area can range in price. You can find a beautiful home in the price range you are looking for. Inventory at this time is low but with the spring market around the corner things should pick up. I would love the opportunity to discuss in detail what you are looking for in a home. Once I have those details I can pull active homes from the system that meet your criteria and email them to you for review. Any that you are interested in we can schedule showings and I am happy to show you the area. I currently live in Haymarket with 4 very active boys, so I know the area well.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me at any time!

Jessica Sanati
Homestead Realty
Office: (571) 261-8800
Cell: (202) 368-3494
jlsanati.realtor@gmail.com
homestdrealty.com
Haymarket is a wonderful place to live. I left Fairfax County for Catharpin, which is the next town over, 9 years ago, and love it. There is great shopping, we have a Wegmans nearby, a new Walmart, and it is rumoured that we will soon be getting a Whole Foods. Battlefields High School is excellent. Nice country feel, yet close to the city. Let me know you email and I can send you listings on homes in your price range
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
I recently graduated from Battlefield High School in Haymarket Va and it is great! I loved it, the music program in particular the band is nationally and globally known. I was apart of the Marching Band, it takes a lot of hard work and practice, but while there I went to two national competitions, which we won both times, ( the college Bowls of American competitions to perform both pregame, and halftime! I went to Orlando Florida (Champs bowl 2010-2011 school year) and New Orleans (for the National College Bowl Championship 2011-2012 school year).
The IT program is very awesome and you can actually graduate with your graphic design certification and other computer programming training. Their robotics team is awesome! The Football team is great and the coach is wonderful, the team also won states in 2011 and football games are fun for the whole family, even if your kids are not in high school yet, i highly suggest taking them to a game for a fun weekend!
You can also take AP Classes, where you can take an AP test and get college credit for free with it depending on the score and the college, and getting the advanced diploma is quite easy, and you do not have to take AP or advanced classes to get it, and I recommend this, because colleges look at and have certain requirements of classes that you HAVE to take in order to get in, and the advanced diploma requirements is the for the most part the same as all the colleges I had applied to and looked at.
As an agent and a homeowner in Prince William, I can say Haymarket is an excellent place to live. The schools are great, there is plenty of shopping, with a new Walmart scheduled to open this hear in Haymarket, there is dining and you can find a reasonably priced home. Plus it is an easy commute to Fairfax, less than 15 miles. I moved here 8 years ago from Fairfax Station and have never regretted my decision. Although this area has built up considerably in the 8 years that I have been here, you still get that small town country feel. Please check my website at http://www.laurensmerbeck.com for homes that I have sold in the Haymarket/Catharpin/Gainesville area.
Haymarket, Va in Prince William County is a great place to live :) I have lived in this area for over 25 years and raised three children here. Haymarket is growing and is well sought after. You can contact me personally DottieCarter@LNF.com with any questions. Home prices have been steadily rising and unemployment rate is low in comparison to the rest of the country( Pr. William: 4.9%; US: 8.3% ) Prince William Countys' population has almost doubled since the year 2000! (Up 43.3%).
83% of the sales in the Bristow, Gainesville, Haymarket area are regular(traditional) sales while many areas of the country are experiencing much larger amounts of foreclosures and short sales.
There is continuous growth and development on all levels to meet the demand.
I would be happy to add you to my list of happy, satisfied clients that I have worked with to achieve their homeownership dreams.
Web Reference: http://DottieCarter.LNF.com
Hi Pharmgal, curious to know what happened with your search. Did you choose Haymarket or are you still looking?
Haymarket is an excellent place to live, still a small community, with large city amenities. Schools are great, roads are continuing to improve, and there is now ample shopping. I have lived in the area for 7 years after living in Fairfax County for over 20 years. I love the small town feel and the friendlyness of the area.
I have live in Haymarket /Gainesville for 9 years. We moved out here from Fairfax County. The median income in this area is over $100K per year. There is a multitude of things to do for both parents and kids. If you like the arts..the Hylton Center for Performing Arts just opened..46 million dollar building..stunning. The public schools are all "schools of excellence". Battlefield High School is ranked 5th in the state..this is a young school-5 years old.
The VRE commuter rail we be up and running within 24 months. The I-66 Interchange is well underway.
George Mason University's Manassas campus is minutes away. We are 3 hours to the mountains ans good skiing and 4 hours to the beaches. Dulles International Airport is 20 minutes. DC is 35 minutes and a great place to spend Saturdays. Even after 40 years of living in the DC area..we still enjoy all that the DC area has to offer.
I can be reached at johanna@devonhomerealty.com.
Hello Pharmgal03!
I personally live in Haymarket, VA for past 7 years and I also have 2 small children who will be attending school soon. I love living here. Commuting to Fairfax is not bad commute at all. There are a lot of people who commute to D.C from here as well. I commute to Centreville and its not far from Fairfax and it only take me about 20 minutes in the morning.

Haymarket is still growing with many shopping centers soon to be built. It's not too far from D.C so you can still go out and enjoy the city and same time you are away from the crazy traffic. it's also convenient to hiking, parks, orchards (15 minutes) and fun outdoor activities. Today my children enjoyed blueberry picking at the orchard and I know there are plenty of children out here who never even seen blueberry bushes.

I can say many positive things about Haymarket. Please feel free to email if you have any questions and don't forget to visit http://www.home1on1.com. Thank you.
Web Reference: http://www.home1on1.com
I live in Western Prince William County and help a lot of buyers settle into this area. Haymarket is an area of the Western end of PW County that has continued to be in demand because of the communities, schools and commute.

With the widening of Route 66, the commute into Fairfax would not be as bad as it used to be. This area got a terrible reputation for commutes because the population in Western PW County grew so quickly during the boom. Agents outside our area may not be familiar with the many improvements that have been made, and the ones that are planned to keep traffic moving. I have noticed a dramatic improvement in commute since moving to the area in 2004.
Web Reference: http://www.pwc.gov
Haymarket is a great place to live.

However, the commute can be difficult, even if he's just driving to Fairfax. You're pretty much stuck driving in on 66. I know 29 is a backup, but I don't know how well that moves, either.

Haymarket is in Prince William County, areas of which (Manassas and Woodbridge, for example) have had a lot of difficulty during the recent economic problems. Still, overall it's fine.

As for schools, here's a link to ratings at the site Great Schools: http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?state=VA&…

The people are friendly and welcoming. No problems there.

You might want to consider looking a little bit closer in, only because of the commute. (I say that because I really don't like commuting. But I've known people to commute from Winchester all the way in to D.C. or Northern Virginia every day.)

Here's a quick search of townhouses and single-family homes stretching in from Gainesville to Fairfax. There are 119 here, and that excludes short sales and foreclosures. Otherwise, there are about 500--giving you some idea of the continuing impact that the economy and the real estate bubble is having. There are some nice townhouses in the Burke area (about 3 miles from Fairfax) and the Little Rocky Run area that calls itself Clifton (really Centreville) all in your price range.

http://mrislistings.mris.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=37…

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi Pharmgal03,

I absolutely LOVE Haymarket!! The schools are excellent and are among the top in Prince William County. It feels like you are in a small, tight-knit community and everyone I have encountered during my personal experiences has been wonderful. I am there about 2-3 times a week, and was there last night as a matter of fact. As far as the commute, it definitely varies, but could be anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour... all depends on traffic and working hours. I would definitely suggest coming for a visit and doing as much research as possible on the schools and community. Where do you currently live?

Here's a list of all the active homes in Haymarket that are between $250,000 and $350,000 (3 bedrooms or more): http://mrislistings.mris.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=215…

Please let me know which homes you are interested in or if you have any questions.

Suzanne Majali, Realtor
571-229-7590
Move4Free Realty, LLC