General Area in Rochester>Question Details

Marisol, Other/Just Looking in 11231

Inam thinking of relocating my family of 5 to Rochester, NY Can anyone tell me what they think of the area?

Asked by Marisol, 11231 Wed Mar 19, 2008

Best schools, neighborhoods, job market, growth, etc. I've done all my reseach but I would like to hear some personal opinions.

Answers

13
Gerry Vazquez’s answer
Marisol, I was raised there and have family and friends in and around the City. I'd be happy to share what I know based on personal experience and research. Call me (631.338.7392) or email me (vazquezgerry@yahoo.com). Gerry Vazquez
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 19, 2008
I relocated to Rochester about 20 years ago. It is a wonderful place to be for college and to stay and work and raise a family. Arts, culture, sports, family-oriented acitivites . . . there is so much to offer in the area. I represent a local homebuilder (DiRisio Builders) and we have not seen a slow down, in either Ontario County (Victor) or in Monroe County (in the Fairport area). There was an interesting article in our paper this morning about the growth in areas around the Rochester area (mainly in Ontario county). I have included the link: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AI…

I hope this helps!
Keli DiRisio
Web Reference: http://www.realty3llc.com
Inam, I am a native of Rochester and would not move any where else on this earth. We do have the 4 seasons that I do love expecially Autumn - from your prespective would you be good with snow. If you can adapt and have fun with it -- it just may be your town. Our shools are wonderful and a family of 5 would be most welcome. What are your wants and needs for a community and home? Get back to me and we can see together if this is the place for you.

Waiting to hear from you.

Cathy Barton, Broker
Allison James Estates and Homes®
(585) 586-8850
cbarton@rochester.rr.com
I have a beautiful home for sale/rent in the Brighton area. It is a 5 bedroom home in the best school district in Rochester. For more info and photos pattiup@rochester.rr.com
The Rochester NY area is one of the best places in the world to bring up a family. There are excellent schools available and unlimited activities for the kids. The changing seasons offer recreational opportunities of all sorts. There are numerous lakes and parks including world famous Highland Park. The museums and art galleries are top notch. There are many highly rated colleges and universities with diverse offerings. And of course this area is the home of Wegmans Food Markets!
Well the number of different responses clearly shows Rochester as a thought diverse area. I've lived here for decades and can tell you it is a wonderful place to raise a family. My advise would be to locate in one of the many suburbs. Depending upon your income range, there are many afordable homes in the Rochester area. When your ready to buy a place and need a good home inspection, try SIteTech (585-703-0369). They will do a great job checking your new place out for you.
Web Reference: http://www.sitetech-llc.com
Rochester is not that great. Sorry to tell you but there are not jobs, schools are horrible, crime is high, winter is brutal. Please investigate more before doing this dramatic move.
I am not surprised to see all of the responses to your question. I married a man from Rochester (Irondequoit, to be exact). People from Rochester are genuinely nice and want to help. They love their city. As a person who is not from Rochester but visits quite often, I will tell you that it is very different place than living down state. I guess it totally depends on what matters to you. I grew up right outside of NY city so I love the convienences of this. Rochester is a large city but the areas you would want to raise a family in are not in the city (sorry to disagree with the other repsonse). My husbands best friend grew up in the city and is desperately trying to sell his house and move out, now that he is about to have a baby, since the neighborhood has turned drastically.

The schools vary depending on the area you are looking for. The city schools are in trouble but the suburban schools score well. There are still large companies that exsist in Rochester so depending on the field you are in will determine the job opportunities. Wegmans is an AMAZING place to work as well as an amazing supermarket.

The biggest difference is the cost of living. A large house with 3-4 bedrooms can go for between 125-150K. A house comparable in size would cost between 550-600K in Westchester county (down state NY). Of course, the salaries are very different as well. Yet, there are many single-income families that do well living there. My husband always tries to convince me to move there but I love where I'm from just as much as he does.

For me, Rochester is a great place to visit. The weather is COLD and the good weather seasons are shorter. There is always a 10 degree difference between our home and his parents home in Irondequoit. Definitely, pros and cons for living in Rochester! Good luck!
As with any city, it's difficult to know the "right" and "wrong" places to live.

Don't let realtors scare you into living in the suburbs, though. Once, a couple came over to my house (in the city). They had just moved from out of town and were in a brand new subdivision in the suburbs. She practically started crying when she saw all our mature trees, my house full of gumwood trim, leaded glass windows, and large screened-in front porch, and neighbors visiting with each other outdoors. She said that she wanted my kind of house in my kind of neighborhood, but the realtor told her that "only poor people" live in the city and that it was "unsafe."
Hi Marisol,
Rochester is a fantastic place to raise children! The schools, communities, and cost of living helped me with my decision to relocated from NYC to Rochester 8yrs ago. If you would like to chat over the phone for some more personal one on one, please call me @ (585) 415-6600. You can also find information on schools and neighborhood profiles on my website.
Hi Marisol,

My name is Larry and I am an agent located in Fairport N.Y. on the S.E. side of Rochester. If you would like to see how I do business just visit http://www.r-house.com , my e-mail address is ltimmons@r-house.com and I will send you any information you need. The S.E. side of Rochester has several small villages located along the Erie Canal or two other counties that are agricultural and only about twenty minutes from the city. The property taxes are phenomenal in both Wayne and Ontario counties. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

"Always There For You"

Larry Timmons
Fairport Office
(585) 410-2053
Convenient, good public school systems, nice size metro area w/out the insane traffic, weather- yes we have snow, BUT no tornados, floods, quakes,low humidity. I can tell you first hand , our medical community is top notch, ( Strong ,Golisano Childrens ).Culturally ~ the Eastman school of Music , RIT is exploding w/ development. Look into our famous "Wegmans" grocery store. No long waits at the airport. Hop a red eye..to NYC.. 3 hrs to Toronto.. One negative is the lack of Mass transportation... no subways etc, and the city needs more non stop flights . Downtown is showing great sugns of growth..Development along the canal and Genesse River.. Singles night life could improve..I beleive that govt here is listening to the community... NOW i\ if we could only get the taxes lowered.!!! You find be able to find affordable hosing. Rochester is a REALLY wonderful City to live in. Claudia Nealon claudianealon@remax.net