General Area in New Orleans>Question Details

J.j., Renter in New Orleans, LA

Im a young single female and Im from MT. Im wanting to move to NOLA, where are the safest and most fun neighborhoods for an apartment, work, and play?

Asked by J.j., New Orleans, LA Tue May 11, 2010

If you are concerned about safety, your best source of information is the local police department--why not stop in or call, ask all your questions and hear all there is to hear firsthand-- Also, consider visiting a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging in order to assure your comfort level can be reached.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 20, 2010
If I was looking to live, work, and play all in the same area I would move to the Warehouse District. Make sure you find a place that's bound by the Crescent City Connection, Poydras, St. Charles Ave, and the Convention Center. That's a pretty happening area with lots to do and buzzing with a activity. If I was single and without children I would definitely move to that area. Good luck with your search for an apartment. Make sure you come back to this thread to let us know what area you decided to move to.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 20, 2010
I would suggest visiting each neighborhood and the specific addresses of rental property in which you are interested....make sure you go at night as well...some neighborhoods seem sleepy and lazy but wake up at night....if you like quiet stay away from bars especially those with live music...pick a neigborhood and address that you would feel safe going to at night...

I have lived in the french quarter and feel very comfortable there from a safety perspective...lots of pedestrians and lately--good police for play and work ...if your job is in the cbd you can walk or use a bicycle or scooter---very eco friendly in that regard...the Quarter can't be beat for entertainment never know who you will see passing on the streets...brad and angelina...tourists from all over the world...very interesting and satisfying...

pls feel free to let me know if you have further questions...

wayne wilkinson, agent
french quarter realty
1041 Esplanade Ave NOLA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
safest and fun is all relative to your budget, lifestyle and what is most important to you. New Orleans is like no other American city. You have to be here to understand what kind of neighborhood you will feel most is an individual choice. You have to walk the streets, talk to people, absorb the culture..then question yourself again with the same question.

These are the starting neighborhoods I would bike/walk before you make any decision..each distinct, each their own world within order of "playability"

1) Uptown - parades, universities, restaurants, Audubon Park
2) Midcity - parades, Jazzfest, easy proximity to anywhere, City Park
3) CBD - Museums, restaurants, parades, art galleries
4) Faurburg Marigny - old Caribbean world feel, artists, musicians, who knows, 2nd line parades
5) French Quarter - Europe meets Latin America, global feel, 2nd line parades, more parades, like living in a movie set, different movie channel everyday.

Within and on the way to these areas are many more. New Orleans is all about discovering what's under the rocks of life everyday..we have many rocks to turn over.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 11, 2010
You can put in any address on the city of New Orleans website and it will give you an interactive map of the crime stats in the area.