I have lived in the french quarter and feel very comfortable there from a safety perspective...lots of pedestrians and lately--good police coverage...best for play and work ...if your job is in the cbd you can walk or use a bicycle or scooter---very eco friendly in that regard...the Quarter can't be beat for entertainment value..you never know who you will see passing on the streets...brad and angelina...tourists from all over the world...very interesting and satisfying...
pls feel free to let me know if you have further questions...
wayne wilkinson, agent
french quarter realty
1041 Esplanade Ave NOLA
These are the starting neighborhoods I would bike/walk before you make any decision..each distinct, each their own world within worlds...in order of "playability"
1) Uptown - parades, universities, restaurants, Audubon Park
2) Midcity - parades, Jazzfest, easy proximity to anywhere, City Park
3) CBD - Museums, restaurants, parades, art galleries
4) Faurburg Marigny - old Caribbean world feel, artists, musicians, who knows, 2nd line parades
5) French Quarter - Europe meets Latin America, global feel, 2nd line parades, more parades, like living in a movie set, different movie channel everyday.
Within and on the way to these areas are many more. New Orleans is all about discovering what's under the rocks of life everyday..we have many rocks to turn over.