Emili, Home Buyer in Half Moon Bay, CA

If you work at Stanford what is the commute like to Half Moon Bay and how are the schools? Kids are 5 and 6 and we're relocating from SoCal.

Asked by Emili, Half Moon Bay, CA Wed Feb 15, 2012

Schools are VERY important to us. We are looking for a real sense of community to raise our kids in. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

7
about 1/2 hour to Sanford. schools are good- my kids were served well. also have a K-8 private school.
I lived in Menlo Park right by Stanford, and the drive is 45-50 min with no traffic if you hit traffic time you are looking at 1:30. The public schools are not the best in terms of academics, but the schools have a great sense of community and parent involvement. As a coach at the high school I am very involved in the community and see first hand how involved the parents are. There are 3 public elementary schools and 2 private schools in our area. seacrest services middle school, but we have no private high schools. We only have 1 middle schoolm and 1 high school as well.

Michael Seaton - Realty Consulting Group ( Serviving the greater bay area)

Free staging by Carmella Designs with all listings!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
Emili, I know you asked about Half Moon Bay months ago but I just had to weigh in, particularly after reading some of the ridiculous statements provided by Val and Michael. I worked at Stanford last year and easily drove from my Half Moon Bay driveway to my Stanford parking lot in 30-35 minutes. Average time from home driveway to I-280 on-ramp: 12 minutes. Previously, I have commuted to San Jose (45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic), Foster City (22 minutes driveway-to-driveway), and San Francisco (30 minutes driveway to off-ramp, and then anywhere from 8 minutes to 25 minutes to get to my parking garage). My husband currently commutes 42 miles one-way to Campbell and it generally takes him just under an hour. Hwy 92 only backs up during the week when there's a bad accident, which means roughly every two or three months, and then it's not so bad hopping over Sharp Park in Pacifica and coming south. Once the Devil's Slide tunnel opens up in a few weeks, it'll be even easier to go that alternate route.

As for the schools: We opted not to enroll our son in the local public schools because we have been so pleased with one of the local private schools, Wilkinson School, which costs roughly half what other area private schools cost. The individualized education offered there, plus the incredible community of families affiliated with Wilkinson, made it a highlight of our 16 years here on the coast. Now that he's graduated from Wilkinson (it's K-8), he's enrolled full-time in Stanford Online High School and, again, we are enjoying an utterly fantastic educational experience. We're thinking we'll stay right here in Half Moon Bay for the rest of our lives. Remember the awful heat waves of this past summer? Never a problem here. Sure, we had our usual summer "marine layer," but so what? If we need sun, we can drive to the sun in a matter of minutes. And when we do have sun -- which is far more frequent that folks "over the hill" realize -- the San Mateo County coast is paradise. We lived in Redwood City when we first moved from Southern California. When we moved to Half Moon Bay, we wished we had been here from our first day in the Bay Area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Thank you Janet! It's so great to get real numbers from real people! I commuted from my El Granada home to Redwood Shores for a number of years. It was 30 minutes door to door. Simple! We love our coastside version of paradise!
Flag Mon Oct 1, 2012
I respectfully disagree with Michael. The commute time is actually quite similar to other locations, but you are driving past flower fields, Christmas Tree farms, beautiful vistas. Coming home to the ocean after a long day in the heat of Palo Alto is a breath of fresh air. Many of our neighbors commute to Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Redwood Shores, etc.

And the community here is wonderful - you see your neighbors at the grocery store and coffee shop, you know your neighbor's kids and they know yours (the kids may not appreciate this as they get older, but it's a pretty nice thing as a parent).

If you are only looking at test scores, the coastside schools are not rated as highly as those in the cities Val and Michael mentioned. However, it's important to look at the score breakdowns. Also, we have wonderful parent participation throughout the school system. We have an educational endowment that is growing fast and funneling funds to the schools. Many Half Moon Bay high school graduates go off to top universities, in California and beyond. We also have private schools on the coast, and commutable access to excellent private schools in San Mateo County and San Francisco.

Best wishes to you as you decide where to live and raise your family!
Hi Emill,
Let's get right down to it, the commute sucks(excuse my french) but it does and if highway 92 is blocked or it's Saturday or Sunday or a holiday or a sunny day, well it's not good then either. I agree with Val, if you work on this side try to stay on this side, just visit that side. Areas that have become very popular and still reasonably priced (similar to HMB) in San Mateo are the Fiesta Gardens and Sunnybrae. The public schools are fantastic(I've lived in SM for 30+ years) and their both close to highways 101 and 92. Belmont and San Carlos are much more expensive and I'm not a fan of the Redwood City Elementary School District(API's aren't as high) although Stanford has opened a new campus in Redwood City just off 101. If you aren't already working with a real estate agent, I'd be happy to show you the area that I've called home since I can remember.

Wishing you the best and welcome to the Bay Area,
Michael
Web Reference: http://MKaprielian.com
We have many clients that commute to Stanford that live in the Coasr. Regardless of where in Stanford, plan on 35-45 minutes. you can check out the schools on our websites. There are 3 public elementary schools and 2 private schools, Wilkensen and Seacrest.
Kathy Rain
Coldwell Banker Half Moon Bay
Hi Emili,
If you work at Stanford and for some reason decide to live somewhere else (and the main one is it is very expensive), I would consider Foster City, San Mateo, Belmont etc. First of all, commute between those cities and Stanford are much easier then between Half Moon Bay and Stanford. And schools in Foster City (especially) are VERY good - elementary and middle.
Please see what is available on my website http://realtyfinancial.com or give me a call at 415.385-8949
regards
Val
Web Reference: http://realtyfinancial.com