General Area in Raleigh>Question Details

Annie, Home Owner in North Carolina

If the radon test come back is high, what should we do? How much would it cost?

Asked by Annie, North Carolina Tue Feb 26, 2013

Answers

7
Owned a home near West Jefferson NC in 2007 which I sold just before the housing market downfall. The home was closed up prior to the radon tests which made the levels slightly above the standard acceptable level. The buyers wanted a pump installed in the basement which cost me $1500. If you live in western NC, you are probably going to have radon. You can check the red counties by going to the NC Dept of Natural Resources and pulling up the map. Radon levels vary among the western counties. Most homeowners accept the fact that there is radon in the mountains. Most do not install air pumps unless they have or are high risk for lung problems. Some buyers use radon as an excuse to lower the price, but the threat of radon is just about everywhere in the western part of NC if you choose to live in the mountains.
The EPA is a great source of information for Radon (see web reference below). Their guide will explain Radon in detail including how to test for it as well as remediation.
Hopefully it will not be an issue for you.
Margaret Moore
Triangle & Coast Realty
The solution to a high radon level is usually a remediation that includes ventilation of the space. Usually we are looking at a cost of a couple of thousand $$. If you made it a contingency for the purchase ask the seller to correct it or to share in the cost.
Depends upon the result. I have experience in dealing with radon presence on either side of the transaction. Is this a home with a basement? If so then a radon test is essential, as radon absorbtion leads to lung cancer, ahead of asbestos and jist behind smoking. Experience shows the remediation cost to be anywhere from 200 bucks to just over 2,000, highly dependent on the location of any radon found to be above 4.0pc/l. Hope this helps and feel free to reply...
Annie...

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you have to. Get the radon test done. As I said before, in 17 years, I have never had a "bad" test, but I do highly recommend you have the test done. If the test comes back "high", there are radon mitigation companies out there who can help. I don't have a specific recommendation since I haven't had a "bad" radon test. Google "radon mitigation raleigh nc". It's a pricey fix...usually around $1000...but well worth it for the health and well being of your family.
Your buyers' realtor will know that very well. You need to communicate to her/him the results of the radon inspection. It sure pays to have your buyers' realtor helping you in your home buying process whether the house you are considering is new or resale or foreclosure. She /he can guide you what to do. She/He will protect you from all the legal, financial and tax ramifications/ptifalls. She will point to you or talk with the seller that the radon test result came back high and needs to be corrected/repaired/remediated. And she will give you list of radon inspectors so you can talk to them and get an estimate of the costs for remediation.
Annie-

Are you the buyer or the seller? There are many options for both. Feel free to call me at your convenience and I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Kris Burritt
919-602-4672
The Jim Allen Group