General Area in Livingston>Question Details

Cynthia Ann…, Other/Just Looking in 33936

I would like to know not only if, but how houses were advertised for sale back in the early 1960's?

Asked by Cynthia Ann Desanto, 33936 Fri Dec 18, 2009

Answers

7
Hi Cynthia,

I tried to reply to the email you sent me but it bounced back twice with spam message. Send me a direct email at Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com.

Thanks for contacting me.

-Gina

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 20, 2009

Yes, newspapers and yard signs. Most newspapers from 1960"s have archives, and many times these are available through libraries. If you are searching for New Jersey records, but ar currently out of state, call a local library and ask for the resource desk.
Good Luck
Deborah Madey - Broker
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Newspaper would have been the primary medium, in addition to yard signs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 19, 2009
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
I was already 275 years old, so I remember first hand.

Yard signs, once in a while a flyer box on the sign, and classified ads. Also, there were shoppers, Homes For Sale type deals, and typed listings you could pick up at real estate offices.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2009
Hi Cynthia
If I recall, you were looking to see if you could find a photo of the home you grew up in...........

In regard to how homes were advertised in the 60's, I, too, was too young (more like 10-12 back then!), but I can tell you that in the 70's when I bought my first home, listings were distributed on sheets of paper. Homes were advertised in newspapers like the Star Ledger, and the local paper like the West Essex Tribune.

I doubt very much whether there would be any record of your old home as far as listings go.

I went into RE in 1985 - back then the multiple listing service was alive and well....... we received sheets with new listings and any other updates only twice a week. We manually ripped old listings out of our looseleaf notebooks, and replaced them with the new listings. We manually wrote in any price changes and closed sale numbers...........we used to run to buy the Sunday paper on Saturday night, so that we'd see what new homes were listed, or who was holding open houses the next day.........quite a bit different from today!

It's possible that the Tribune might have archives or old issues that might have a photo if the home was advertised back then. Try calling them (973) 992-1771..........hope this helps.

Good luck, and have a wonderful holiday season.....
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Cynthia,

The 60's were before my time. I wasn't born until the 1970's but I agree with Jeanne obviously no internet so paper print must've been the way as I'm sure listings in the real estate office windows. I'm sure real estate signs were posted on the lawns of houses for sale. I also assume that local real estate was handled more by the mom and pop type real estate offices and there was no broker cooperation so you couldn't show or sell another broker's listings.

Are you just curious or are you looking for something specific or a particular 1960's listing?

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Early 60's would have me at about age 6-8, so certainly before my time in "the business". I would wager, yes, they were advertised, and the mode was print based. I also imagine that the practice of pictures and descriptions in real estate office windows was far more prevalent. Pre computer age, the business would have been so very different for everyone, real estate offices with binders filled with paper listings.

How times have changed - and I think we are in the midst of another wave with the growing relevence of social media.

I'll be interested to read the other responses that you get to your question - fun to ponder, thanks for asking it.

Jeanne Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com