General Area in Charlotte>Question Details

Victoria, Renter in Montgomery, AL

I work w/in the fields of elem. & post-secondary education. I live in Montgomery, AL, but want to relocate to the Charlotte area.

Asked by Victoria, Montgomery, AL Sat Oct 6, 2012

Key Issues: Excellent School & Safe Community:

My main concern is the community in which I will reside. Because I plan to teach within the school system there, I am just as concerned with the zoning aspect of the city. Can students attend where the parents see fit (or in my case, where I work), or are there neighborhood schools only? Also, where I reside now, everything is pretty much within a 10 to 15 minute drive from my home. Is this even likely w/in your area? ............ I plan to first rent, then buy once I get settled after about a year.
Thank You!!

Answers

10
That sounds promising much more. Glad to hear that I'm not limited by such a factor. Thanks for the information!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
There are good spots all over Charlotte... North, South East and West... You might not get the best school to teach in but you can always get a pretty good neighborhood not too far away.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
That sounds great! Sorry. I am still of the "small town" mentality. Here, there is only one "good" side of town. So finding out what side we want to live on is the first step and pretty much the last step. The side I'm on has all the trimmings as far as jobs (with somewhat pleasant clientel), great schools (w/ extra funds from the parents & local businesses), and safe neighborhoods & shopping centers. The other sides of town I would not even consider because I'd be lucky to get at least one of those things I just listed. I'm starting to get the vibe that I have a lot to learn about the Charlotte area in comparison to my own. But I will start from there .... Get the job and then proceed to find which side of THAT side I want to live on.
Thank You Again. Hope I'm not a bother.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
There are several colleges... most are in town, and UNCC is North but they have a uptown campus building. CPCC has branches all over the city but the main one is down town. But Winthrop is in Rock Hill and Wingate is in Monroe... both about a 30 minute drive or more. I think your best bet is to get the job and assignment... then determine where the best place to live is. You wouldn't want to pick North Charlotte and then get assigned in Ballantyne (a 45+ minute drive).... The job is the hard part of the puzzle. Once you have that it won't be hard to decide where the closest good place to live is.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Oh no. I completely understand that. We operate the same way here. Our jobs our contingent on wherever there is an opening. I was just asking because I purposely moved to my current neighborhood due to the fact that each year a teacher could be moved to another school without much warning. Therefore, having the conveience of living 3 minutes from the EXCELLENT school my child is zoned for, was a great backup plan for those years that I got hired to teach in a not so pleasant environment. As said before, with the different schools starting at different times and possibly being of a rather lengthy driving distance from work to the area my child may attend school, then my current strategy may not be as feasible in your area. I will also be applying for positions on the collegiate level as well. If I were to recieve a job within this field, what would be the best plan of action here? Are the colleges all in the downtown/same area, or are they spread out?

Thanks again for your feedback Dave & Lexie!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Victoria,

Lexie pretty much hit it with the schools are neighborhood schools. However; within the school system where you live does not dictate where they will assign you to teach. I have clients that live in an area that is close to the school they are assigned toand others that have a lenghty commute. The school system from my observation tends to put teachers in schools that they deem needed for.

In terms of finding everything within fifteen minutes. You can find that in just about any part of charlotte area. There are enough stores and supermarkets and gas stations centrally located that everything you need is in a certain area.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
http://www.davedicecco.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Ok. I'll be sure to remember that. Time is definitely a factor in this case. Thanks so much again for your help. Hope you don't mind all the questions because I'm sure I'll have more. :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
I don't know if you will be able to work at your neighborhood school. And different schools have different start and finish times. Some start at 7 and some as late as 9 AM. Once you get a job then you could find a good neighborhood as close by as you can.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Ok. Thanks. Yea. That is pretty much how it is here as well. That is why my main concern is to live in a neighborhood where they have a good school. This way if the school I am hired to teach for does not "meet my standards," then I can i always fall back on the school by our home. This strategy has worked well for me here, but as stated before, everything is 10 to 15 minutes away. It's no hassle to drop my child off on the way to work and be home before he gets of the bus. I'd love to have that same luxury when I relocate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Kids are assigned to schools. They are called "Neighborhood" schools. There are also magnets which slots are done by a lottery system. These are full and it is hard to get a slot. I don't think you will have much choice in the school you are assigned to teach at. They might give you two options... but certainly no more than that. All the teachers I know were just given a place... take it or leave it. It could be across town... so you are probably better off getting the job and then determining where you want to live.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012