Michele,  in Albany, NY

I will be moving to Albany soon. Which neighborhoods should I stay away from?

Asked by Michele, Albany, NY Sat Apr 14, 2012

Here are some neighborhoods to avoid: Arbor Hill, West Hill, South Pearl, Second Ave, and Mt Hope.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Many clients have asked about the downtown Albany neighborhoods. Whether it’s Center Square, Mansion Hill, or Ten Broeck Triangle, questions arise as to location, boundaries, and character. The downtown Business Improvement District has a nice summary of the downtown Albany neighborhoods. Below is a list of downtown and central neighborhood associations, with links to the active association websites. This information comes directly from the City of Albany, Neighborhoods page.

Council of Albany Neighborhood Associations:

The Council of Albany Neighborhood Associations, commonly known as the “CANA,” is a nonpartisan federation of neighborhoods associations and related organizations that was founded in 1976. CANA was established to coordinate the activities among the different neighborhood associations, and tackle the macro issues affecting the quality of life in Albany. Within the CANA are the following central and downtown Albany neighborhoods.

Center Square

Located in the heart of Albany directly adjacent to downtown, the Center Square neighborhood features a diverse mix of residents, Lark Street unique shops and galleries, and restored historic homes. Center Square Neighborhood Association website.

The Albany’s Hudson-Park is known for its convenience, cultural diversity and neighborly interaction. These characteristics stand out in the Hudson-Park area and are the main reason why residents are attracted to this neighborhood. It is located between Washington Park , Lincoln Park and the Empire State Plaza. Hudson-Park Neighborhood Association website.

Washington Square

Washington Square Neighborhood Association (WSNA) is located in Mid-Town Albany and covers the area west of Henry Johnson Blvd to Quail Street and north of Washington Park to Bradford Street. Located within the Washington Square Neighborhood Association are the old SUNY Albany campus, numerous houses of worship and Albany Fire Department Engine 1. Washington Square Neighborhood Association is a diverse community that mirrors the City of Albany population and we work on cleanliness, safety and other quality of life issues for our residents, visitors and those who work here. Meetings are generally held on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm at the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Albany at 405 Washington Avenue. Washington Square Neighborhood Association website.

Park South

Tucked between the growing University Heights and Washington Park, Park South features a mix of housing styles. Located close to services on New Scotland Avenue and downtown, getting anywhere quickly is easy in Park South.

Mansion Neighborhood

With the Empire State Plaza as a backdrop, the Mansion neighborhood features historic Victorian row houses, the New York State Governor’s Mansion, which is currently the Governor’s active residence, some of the City’s most popular, distinctive restaurants, a diverse artistic community, the historic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Albany Catholic Diocese. and a quick walk to all that downtown offers. Mansion Neighborhood Association website.

Ten Broeck Triangle – Arbor Hill

One of the first neighborhoods in Albany, the neighborhood’s rich past is illustrated in the spires of Saint Joseph’s Church, historic structures, and Ten Broeck Mansion. A diverse neighborhood enjoys parks, and a location adjacent to downtown and commercial offerings of Henry Johnson Boulevard.

A distinct neighborhood features mixed-use living where tennis courts, shops and courtyards are interspersed among historic owner and tenant occupied historic homes. The neighborhood is adjacent to downtown Albany and the waterfront.

South End

The South End is present in historic preserved brick row houses and Schuyler and Cherry Mansion, as well as newly reconstructed South Pearl Street and other new construction. Lincoln Park features the large scale Lincoln Pool, tennis courts and recreational space. South End Neighborhood Association website.
Ms. Carr has lived in Center Square a whole 4 years? Wow! As a resident of Center Square for 16 YEARS, I can tell you the whole area is rapidly de-gentrifying... Chain restaurants (Subway, Taco Del Mar) have replaced art supply stores and framing shops. Shootings, robberies at knife-point, and rapes, are common. Don't believe me? Click on a property and then look at the crime map below. You will see EVERY neighborhood in Albany is a high crime neighborhood. Recent crime statistics show crime is higher in Albany than in any of the 5 boroughs comprising NYC. A local cop told me it has been that way for at least 3 years now. Which neighborhood should you avoid? All of Albany....
What an exaggeration. Center Square is not dangerous. And it is not de-gentrifying. If race and gentrification go together, the Census 2010 statistics say that the area is becoming more white. Two very nice new Asian restaurants just opened in Center Square: Rain and Shogun. New townhouses that go for $400,000 were built on Jay street 3 years ago. New condos are going up on the corner of Lark and Madison. It's a very nice and clean neighborhood outside of the immediate properties that house bars.
Flag Fri Jan 24, 2014
recently moved here from Hartford, Connecticut and I absolutely love Albany. Lark street has no chain stores to speak of except Dunkin Donuts. I live on South Pearl-Historic Pastures in a apartment that would have cost me three times as much in NYC. If you are looking to walk to theatres, museums, restaurants, nightlife and various entertainment. Albany has it all. As for crime. Street savvy and common sense should prevail at all times. As a old school New Yorker I still will take the occassional neighborhood walk after dark. Like any urban center one has to use good judgement. A great place to live.
Flag Wed Aug 8, 2012
I have no choice but to move there for college. Maybe you should move to another location, you don't seem too happy there. There are always pockets of good and bad in any locale. Guess I'll be buying some pepper spray. Thanks for the info.
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
I live on Lark Street in Hudson/Park - Center Square area and love it! We moved here 4 years ago
A good source of information is: http://www.albanyny.org/Residents/Neighborhoods.aspx

I would also recommend visiting the neighborhoods you are considering. Talk to the owners in the area. Drive the area a few different times of the day, both on weekends and week days. It is about finding a place you feel comfortable, not just the stats on a website. Look at the homes, the parks, and the schools. Hope that helps you pick a neighborhood.
Thank you for the link. I don't live near the area so I don't have time to visit Albany frequently. I will have to make a quick decision after visiting for 4 days in May, hence why I'm asking for info on this site.
Flag Sat Apr 14, 2012
I just wrote a blog post on the different neighborhoods in downtown and central Albany. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Alexander H. Monticello, Esq.
Principal Broker &
Licensed Attorney
T: 518.227.0718
F: 518.223.8001
Thank you
Flag Sat Apr 14, 2012
Visit areas of interest more than once and at different times of day; look at everything that is important to you, possibly chat with locals, etc., then make your determination as to where your comfort level can best be reached. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods....
I live 4 hrs away, it's impossible for me to visit multiple times, so for now I will find out via internet. I was up there for one day last month and was only able to see a small area. I am aware of professional standards that real estate brokers must adhere to and I'm not asking this question to realtors specifically. I'm new to this site so I apologize if I posted this in the realtor section.
Flag Sat Apr 14, 2012